Anyone miss the classic trio? (Monomachine, Machinedrum, Octatrack)

I thought it’d be fun to put the Monomachine, Machinedrum, and Octatrack together for a song in 2019. And while it was fun, the thing that really surprised me is that Elektron’s modern offerings don’t really overlap with these. The Analog Four can give you some of what you get in the Monomachine, but the Monomachine’s got some great weird sounds, a killer drum machine, and can do awesome work on external inputs (that signal rate reduction is a beaut!). Meanwhile, the Machinedrum and Analog Rytm overlap somewhat, but I can’t help wondering what it would be like to have a Rytm with a few of these digital engines on board, too.

And finally, kind of taking the reverse tack, it’s clear when pairing the three that the Octatrack could have stood for a bigger update than it got with MkII. It certainly is a more beautiful device and looks/feels nicer, but a master track, extra effects slots, etc. wouldn’t have gone amiss!

I’d love to see modernized versions of these machines, especially OT and Monomachine, and think they’d pair nicely with the current line-up.

I’ll post a link for the song I made later, as I don’t want the post to get flagged by the forum as spam. I’m mainly curious about people’s thoughts on bringing these devices into the modern era.

1 Like

That s because the analog and newer machines were not supposed to replace the older ones. They re more complements than competitors.

Btw, i regard the machinedrum and monomachine as one generation, octatrack already in the next.

4 Likes

I get that they were complements, but then they stopped production of the Monomachine, so it feels as though the one generation replaced the other (I know that’s strictly not the case). I just hope/wonder if a Monomachine will be part of Elektron’s line-up in the future.

And fair enough, re: thinking of the Octatrack as a different generation. When I compare it to the Rytm and Four MkII units, though, the Octatrack really seems like a (mostly amazing) relic of a different era, hence me categorizing it with Monomachine and Machinedrum.

I miss that feeling I got when hearing them for the first time…it was an eye/ear opener for what was possible with small magical boxes. I think part of that magic was Cenk @Dataline doing their promo videos so often and showing what was possible. I really think they are missing the mark by not having him front and center all the time doing product demo content on YT and Instagram. He’s kind of like if a space alien landed and showed us some new tech we’d never scene or heard before. Everyone was in awe of this alien tech… now its just artsy fartsy art house short videos that dont create the magic of the MD/MN/OT and Dataline blowing everyones mind.

5 Likes

Yeah, Dataline is basically the best salesperson you could have for any of these devices, AND his music is also fantastic. I’m always aspiring to learn some of his techniques for live performance on these devices.

Matter of taste, I chose another classic trio : Dark Trinity. In complement, I planed a Digitone, that should theorically suits my needs better than MD or MnM. I have to try an MnM though. @LyingDalai? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No need to produce new versions of these instruments. They remain available new or relatively easily available secondhand.

Elektron stopped production of the MD and MM because sales (and, I assume, components) were dwindling and to make way for new and better designs.

DNA from the older gear is readily found in the newer models.

Recreating older designs for the sake of fanbase nostalgia would be a sign that Elektron was out of ideas.

7 Likes

That was a fine example of how to use the trio. Really liked this. Your own “commentary” on the video is also pretty good. Great to get an explanation of what is going on.

Cheers

Thomas

6 Likes

Funny you say that because I just came upon this video yesterday. Very capable combo

1 Like

…is this the case then for those companies that actually do it? :open_mouth: :smile_cat:

Sorry but the machine on the top left is an impostor image

5 Likes

Hey, thanks so much for the kind words!

1 Like

Yes we need Mastermachine! New incarnation of MD MM and OT in one single box to rule the world!

3 Likes

Add A4 and AR and I’m in. :smile:

1 Like

I’d be happy with Digi versions of the MD and MnM or a new silver combo box. Leave the Octatrack as it is imo

3 Likes