Anyone here using Audeze LCD-1?

Don’t have HD650s anymore, liked them a lot and they translate well but found the clamp too much, even after stretching them out.

I much prefer the LCD-1s, both in sound and comfort. The bass isn’t huge like bigger LCDs, but it’s really clean and doesn’t roll off like 650s. The treble is nicer to me too, especially with the Reveal plugin. The sound stage is probably smaller, but that doesn’t bother me.

I’ve been listening to them constantly for a few days and I could swear they’ve opened up and sound even better. Not sure if it’s burn-in or just my brain getting used to them though.

Totally contradicting myself from my last post, but I like these so much I can’t stop thinking about the LCD-X now. I’m sure they will be too heavy for me, but tempted to get a pair just to try them side by side.

1 Like

I’d love to try some Audeze phones and I have always wanted HD650 after using them years ago. Budgets are tight at the mo though!

I got fed up with my AKG K702 pair – with the lack of low end, I could never make decent decisions on sound design, mixing, anything with them. I’ve had them a few years and have had enough.

So I’ve just picked up a pair of Monolith m1060c converted to open backs – kind of a poor mans Audeze, but they’re really pretty good! Used them a few hours today, and enjoyed them. Going to mod them a little more this week but I think they’ll work well. My AKGs will be on eBay this weekend if anyone wants them!

1 Like

So I’ve had the LCD-1 for a good while now and I can only highly recommend them. I don’t bother with Sonarworks or any of that EQ correction business that I was using for the far ‘woolier’ sounding Beyerdynamics in the past. These things feel true to the music in a very pleasing way, whether that’s my own music creations or listening to other music for the pure joy of it. They’re just the right balance for me, crisp but not harsh top end with transient clarity, very detailed mids, and smooth low end without overwhelming everything. I’ve yet to mix an EP/album on them but I can tell by listening to mastered works of other artists that these are going to do a magnificent job.

(And yes, I understand that the LCD-X would probably take things to another level, but I don’t have that kind of coin and then there’s the diminishing returns factor. I’ve found my babies at a price point I can afford. Couldn’t be happier)

5 Likes

Damn, I pushed the wrong button on my iPad. Sorry boss man.
Touch-screens are touchy.

OG post:

Thank you.

Craig, might you have compared the LCD-1 to the 99 classics?

or the 99 Neo

1 Like

No, but those aren’t planars, right? I definitely wanted planars when I was doing research a few months ago.

1 Like

Still really tempted to try these. I had planar electrostatic speakers years ago and they always had a super-detailed soundstage and an effortless quality to them, would be really interesting to see how that tech would translate to headphones.

1 Like

First you sold me on the 0-Coast with your praises and now you got me wanting a set of LCD-1s :triumph:

Seriously though, these look great and I’ve been looking for an upgrade from my DT-770 Pros since my ears don’t appreciate them being closed back.

1 Like

I haven’t touched my DT770s since getting the LCD-1. Feels like it would be a backwards step.

1 Like

just checked their site… impressive stuff with the Planar Magnetic tech… definitely on the list to check out in the future! plus I see they make gaming headphones?! nice.

1 Like

no not planars, which model of the planars were you looking at?

I’m the one who started the thread then ended up getting the LCD-1. Couldn’t be happier.

so when you don’t want to disturb others you’re back on the 770’s?

My girlfriend is always gaming with headphones on so I can disturb as much as I want to :slight_smile:

:grin:

so why do you prefer the open backs to closed backs?

I don’t really prefer either. I was happily using DT770 with Sonarworks for a while but went for LCD-1 for that excellent Audeze planar sound at a price point I could afford. I’m glad I got them over something like the DT1770s I was considering.

2 Likes

I would say open back offers better sound stage and definition, less ear fatigue.

Closed traps bass. I LOVE bass, but for me, it feels as tho my ears are being pounded in closed cans.

Closed def for live if yer mixing shit up, so you can hear what yer doing. :grin::+1:t6:

@craig you’ve got me eyeing LCD-1…you son-of-a…

1 Like

me too. I went for the Meze 99 classic noirs which are no longer available on Meze site but available on the Drop for $200 to try out but if they don’t work out I’m gonna try out the audeze LcD-1’s myself

this is the first time I’m using the drop but they offer 30 day hassle free, and free returns so might not get a chance to try the noirs in the future otherwise.