Anyone Have Two Model:Samples?

I’m considering it in order to have one dedicated to drum sounds and the other to various field recordings. Does this sound ridiculous, given what one unit can do?

I’m sure you’ve considered options, such as a Digitakt or similar. I’m curious as to why you’re exploring this route, instead of looking for something that’s in the same vein but offers variety - like another compact, funky sampler, but not just a Model:Samples.

I can totally see the love for the Model:Samples and its immediacy, but I’d imagine that love must be so strong that it precedes the idea of remaining small and immediate in your rig and yet offer some variation from what that other device can offer.

I bought a Drumbrute Impact for the sake of variety, but it is limited to its own sounds. The Digitakt is a bit pricey and seems less optimized for a live flow (I could be wrong about this). I question the value of variety if it is only for the sake of variety because at some point it seems to become distraction. Please enlighten me on the virtues of the Digitakt for live performance (anyone).

Thanks for your reply.

2 Likes

For me I like variety but not for the sake of variety. I like to combine hardware that compliments each other.

For example an MPC with an sp (I have the sp404sx). MPC’s have great sequencers, can pitch samples, easy to chop samples, ect. The sp404sx has A LOT of sample memory & A LOT of effects (but chopping takes time, no real pitch feature & the sequencer is very limited). They go really well together - combine strengths!

I would get something else with the Model:Samples that has strengths were the Model:Samples lacks. Like think about features you want that the Model:Samples doesn’t have.

For example, as far as I’ve heard the Model:Samples can’t sample (samples must be downloaded/transferred) & chopping isn’t precise. So maybe getting a sampler that samples directly & has great chopping features.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I am leaning toward a Digitakt. I am going to start a new thread asking if those who have both enjoy the different workflows equally, more, or less.

1 Like

DJS1000 FTW

:grinning:

1 Like

I do an OT and MS and I love it. I dont think I’d like 2 MS just cause neither would have an audio in, thus clunky resampling/mixing

@AAdra :thinking:

2 Likes

True

1 Like

How are you liking the twin MS setup? I bet you’re like a speed wizard, must be fast using both with the basically knob per func.

1 Like

Tbh it just made me want another Octatrack but I’m hesitant to bite that bullet all the little box releases the moment I buy another they might hit me with a big box release

Maybe similar to your idea, I use the Rytm for all drums and the DT for all music stuff for live sets. I also have a friend who pretty successfully uses two DTs with a DJ mixer. Each DT has it’s own track, so transitions are nice and smooth.

Not advise on what to get, but try and take your time and really figure out what you need and want out your second box. You sound like a person who is in the fog of GAS, and as anyone who has been there can tell you, that is when impulsive decisions can leave you with egg on your face :slight_smile: