Anyone else own multiple pieces of the same gear just because you can?

Just checking that im not alone and maybe I am confessing that I sometimes I go overboard.

I have 3 Roland SP404’s and 2 Octatracks even though I dont use them at the same time except on occasion I use 2 of the 404s together.

My girlfriend has more than 40 pairs of shoes so thats how I justify this.

My first sampler back in 1998/99 was the sp202 so I have a deep appreciation for this device and the modern day version is the sp404. Now that I’m in my 40’s and have more financial resources, I bought multiple 404s because 3 of them cost the same as 1 Octatrack. I have 2 Octatracks because I had to send one in for maintenance and didnt want to wait two weeks for it to come back so I bought a spare which lives in a box in case it needs to jump in.

Anybody else own multiple pieces of the same gear just because they can or am I the only crazy one in which case you can all start shaming me. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Makes sense to me. I have two Shruthis with the SMR4Mk2 filter (one Shruthi XT and one non-XT Shruhti) My XT is one the desk, the other one as backup on the Shelf.

Also thought about getting two OTs. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Thank goodness, then I welcome you to the club. We are not alone

First world problem.

19 Likes

10 monomachines in a bank vault

28 Likes

I have a lot of audio- and midi-cables, not just one. I even have more than I need!

11 Likes

Yes, multiple units of some things which I like:

2x TB-03*
3x TT-303*
3x TB-303
2x OT*
3x Volca Sample
2x OP1
16x Monotribe (bought most of them cheap, won 1)
6x Gameboy DMG
2x C64
2x JP-08*
2x JP-03*
2x SH-01a*
3x MX-1*
2x CVOCD*
2x Banana Midi thru*
2x Organelle M
3x Axoloti core
Multiple duplicates of various Bugbrand modules*

*denotes used simultaneously in main setup

Some are duplicated because of limited memory/tracks, or spares/redundancy, or modding purposes.

Others are duplicated because they might be used outside of main setup for example as part of a portable setup.

But, most of this has been bought over many years and I don’t spend much money on anything else for myself. I will probably eventually sell some of it, especially the things not in regular use. I also have quite a bit of other gear not in use which will eventually be sold.

Also, most bought second hand.

7 Likes
3 Likes

3 working E-Mu Command Stations. (bought the 2nd as a spare unit, and the 3rd for parts — but managed to restore it). probably will buy another one for parts.

also, i grew up on rock music, where 2 guitars panned hard to the left and to the right is quite typical lineup. so, i intentionally bought 2 units of some mono synths to do right that — MAM MB-33 Retro, Circuit Mono Station, Korg NTS-1.

i have 3 units of NTS-1, because it can also be used as MIDI controlled FX box, and for the price it’s really no-brainer.

also, will certainly buy a spare Roland HandSonic HPD-15.

3 Likes

i guess in some 20 years, when they reach vintage status and cost some 4-digit numbers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I have three fender basses. They’re all a bit different though. I would like to afford multiples of my favourite pedals.

I have (and use together), two OT.
I have two AH also

4 Likes

AR MK1 and MK2 here. Just didn‘t bring it over me to part with the MK1.

3 Likes

I have two OB-6s and two Nord Stage 3s. Don’t get me started on Eurorack modules. :smile:

4 Likes

I actually have 3x OP-Z,

They were gifted to me…

4 Likes

Im starting to think having 2 might be the norm instead of the exception. :joy:

2 Likes

I got three Sequentials. But none the same, tho. So I guess that doesn’t count.

I still have three Sequentials, tho :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yup. Collected down the years when they’ve popped up in some strange places.

2x Roland Jupiter 4
2x Korg M1
2x Yamaha RM1X

1 Like

Wait, what did I miss? P12, the newly acquired P5 rev4 and…?

2 Likes

Two Korg SQ-1s are useful for sequencing sequencers.

Two Launchpad Mini Mk3s = 1 midigrid for the Monome Norns Shield.

1 Like