Anyone disliked FM at first but changed their opinion after getting the Digitone?

Not really, the Minilogue XD has one digital oscillator with some FM capabilities as well. Makes it a very interesting synth.

2 Likes

…but sounds kind of good here…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SWFL1XF7Y&t=749s&ab_channel=Korg

Could anyone post what he considers the best sounds of Digitone? Thnks!

I caved in and just bought a Novation SL MK3, so only FM synthesis I will be making will be on Operator for a while. In the meantime, I will save for Novation Peak, which is the only synth that I don’t have any doubts based on my workflow, and hopefully not buy anything else down the line :slight_smile:

check @Eaves and @ylva channels if you haven’t.
Or the basek liveset.
Full of outstanding digitone sounds :+1:

3 Likes

In this one Opsix is killing it…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH2XiQ2Qq7o&ab_channel=Noisegate

I listened to a lot of demos of Opsix, including the very recent demo by Jexus and that video of direct comparison of Digitone and Opsix and simply cannot like the sound of Korg.
Digitone just sounds nicier (although it’s somewhat colder than oldschool Yamaha FM).
All three new Korgs have similar “sharp” sound and in cases of Opsix it is a bit sad considering how deep and innovative the engine is…

upd: missed the post, this demo:

1 Like

warm… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-SWFL1XF7Y&t=749s&ab_channel=Korg :slight_smile:

Caved in and just received the Digitone. First impressions are perfect!

3 Likes

Grainy and hard is precisely what I want from an FM synth, not lush and versatile.

God forbid a synth should be versatile

2 Likes

I like instruments with character. I think the market could bear more niche and focused synths. There’'ll be a limit, I guess, because the more niche the synth gets, the fewer people will buy it, the higher the cost will have to rise to make it worthwhile for the manufacturer, the fewer-still can afford it. I guess that’s why modular works…

I’ll stop doing my thinking out loud now… :wink:

3 Likes

Off-topic: this thread is giving me serious GAS for a DK. And there’s one for cheap in the Marketplace threads. And it’s my birthday soon. And I have savings. DANGER!!

4 Likes

versatile is ok. distinct is ok too. i prefer distinct over jack of all trades.

2 Likes

I had a good time with the Digitone but sold it eventually because I missed some weight from the sound. But the love for fm remains, and really enjoy using the heavier (but limited) analog fm sounds on the analog rytm now. Same with the Microfreak

1 Like

I have only given it a couple of hours now but I don’t think the sounds lack any weight, not in the slightest. In fact I think it sounds very rich and full.

3 Likes

I wrote it off at first. Wanted something multitimbral with a good sequencer but was put off (intimidated) by FM. The higher voice count and smaller form factor won out over the A4 and I decided to try it. Very glad I did. I still have a lot to learn but I really enjoy it. I may end up with a DT at some point too. The Octatrack just seems imbalanced without one on each side.

1 Like

I agree. Maybe the new EQ filters we’ll be getting next Wednesday will help those folks :wink:

1 Like

I didn’t like FM as much when I got the Digitone. So I sold it and got an analog synth, then I realized I liked FM more and not analog. So now I am searching for a Digitone.

1 Like

It looks like it’s going to be great for bass and lead parts but I am sure it has other strengths up its sleeve waiting to be explored.