Anybody using Model:Samples in real productions ?

I bought the Model:Samples just when was released, and I really love it.
But I find hard to use it in production; it is more a funny toy.
I tried many time recording one of the six tracks at a time, and later adjust in a daw the eq, reverb etc but in the end I find it really time consuming.
Do you know if there will be ever an update for separate track from USB or overbridge or something like that?

2 Likes

I suggest recording it while just jamming on it live. It doesnā€™t want to be programmed, it wants to be played. Everything is easily accessible. Even if you are just mangling a simple loop, seems like a really immediate tool to me. Currently have mine hooked up to a channel on my DJ mixer to add some ā€œflareā€ to those mixes.

4 Likes

I do use it in productions for different purposes. The last time I cut a melodic sample on there and played with the LFO and some other automation that I then recorded in Ableton and used as a starting point for a track. Another time I used it to create a hi-hat pattern that just had little changes every now and then, which wouldā€™ve been a way more tedious thing to do in Ableton, rather than just playing the changes in with live-rec on the M:S.
I can see your point that a 6ch-out-rec would be awesome but right now focussing on one thing, refining it, then recording it and moving on also works fine. That is of course because I think not every bit has to come from the M:S, but where it makes sense (e.g. hihats, percs, little automations over time, etc) I definitely wouldnā€™t want to miss out on it. But if I see that itā€™s way easier to do in the DAW, Iā€™ll just leave it to the DAW. Hybrid is key in this Iā€™d say.

1 Like

Plenty of records have been produced with instruments way more primitive than the M:S. The bottleneck is often the user, rarely the gear.

8 Likes

Calling @AdamJay

1 Like

MS is the source here.
OT only used for looping and transitions.

Itā€™s only a toy if you donā€™t take it seriously.

19 Likes

Off-topic question: what stand did you use for Model:Samples?

Raindesign mstand

1 Like

I quite like those chords in the 1st track. Reminds me of the stuff ā€˜Traumerā€™ has released :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I love what you did here. Sounds like a dark techno industrial vibe. Question how are you using the midi fighter? Is it controlling a DAW orā€¦

Thanks for the responses
Everytime I use it for a jam, I later want to edit it in Ableton or export to fix something here and there; and I get stuck.
Yes, I actually use it too as a crazy hi-hat machine;
I was just wondering if there will be ever an update
Great video from Adam Jay as always

As for an update imho: who knows?!?! They gave the Digitakt a crazy update. If they were going to give us six tracks of recording over USB it would make the most sense to make it OB compatible. Personally, I have zero clue whether that is even possible.

Iā€™m having trouble imagining what else they could cram in given what buttons are there and what the OS already does. Maybe a second LFO or something?

1 Like

Itā€™s controlling EQs and levels (of live input from MS, and loop/flex track of MS recording) on the OT .

I wouldnā€™t count on multitrack audio out of the MS ever.
Itā€™s a costly feature to maintain, so no wonder it is found on the more costly Rytm or Digitakt (OT canā€™t have it due to completely different USB implementation).

But focus on sample selection, and use the filters when you can. Consider a master reverb (high pass filtered, low mix) to add some density to the mix. Compression helps too.

M:S can get the job done with only the stereo output. Same way OP-1, SP-404, and countless other boxes do. Of course it canā€™t resample, but thereā€™s always a way to bend it to your will.

1 Like

This thread inspired me to fire up the Model:Samples and try incorporating it into my Ableton workflow. Iā€™ve tried this before. I just end up recording each part separately, one at a time. It really doesnā€™t make use of the power of the Elektron. The other method Iā€™ve tried is to simply jam on the M;S while recording it into Live, for use later. I suppose if youā€™re happy with the sound straight out of the stereo outputs this is OK.

In the end I just mentally separate Live for producing a finished track and the M:S for performing something live.

2 Likes

MS and MC really need a second lfo

It would open up many new possibilities

I am not sure what Is the Elektron plan on these 2 products

They seem so far from the other Elektron machines but yet very powerful

1 Like

One thing you could do is to record it in 3 different takes.

1st - The whole thing while jamming.

2nd - One part at a time, starting with the kick and bassy sounds. Then play it back from your daw while you jam and record in the next parts one at a time.

3rd - Record every single track one by one as they are with no changes.

Treat it all as sketches that you put together and finish in the daw.

A last option would be to go 3 tracks out of each of the 2 mono outs. Donā€™t know if M:S has that option over USB, but if you have an interface, you could do it.
Obviously youā€™ll loose the stereo fx and panning. Personally Iā€™d prefer it that way anyways. Easier to edit and process further like that. And I also find the Reverb on the modern machines a little too clean, so I donā€™t really use them. Can never really find a setting that I really like. I find EHX Cathedral more viby. However, I do set the damping on that to around 10-11 oā€™clock, and I mainly just use the plate setting. Fits well with the darker sounding Vermona VSR3 that I also have. I brighten that one up with the tone control though.
The delay is cool though with itā€™s filter, and also I prefer clearer sounding delays for dubmixing, to sit on the top of the audio, and not take up too much space in the mids
Actually using an ext. Reverb at least could make your sounds a little less ā€œElektron soundingā€, if thatā€™s sometimes you care for :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Agreed. A second LFO would mean a lot. I still love the M:S though. It really reminds me of the old Electribes.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had my M:S for about a year now, the ā€œrecord one track at a timeā€ workflow yields best results for me. I usually sync it with Ableton to make it a little easier. I find it works really well to get the basis of an idea down and then I edit/manipulate/sequence it in the box. Anyway hereā€™s an example of a published production where Iā€™ve used the M:S that I think turned out alright.

ian dpm / definite party material Ā· PREMIERE: Lithe - Not A Pessimist [Basilica Nights]

The drums at the start (and throughout) are M:S tracked in as one stereo recording. I wish Iā€™d multitracked it, the kick ended up being way too loud which caused problems when mixing and trying to match the levels to the B-side.

Edit: my first post, mucked up the embed links

2 Likes

Having the ability to separately record each of the 6 tracks would definitely help with incorporating into my usual Ableon Live workflow. I suppose it depends on how wild you get with your performance.

What Iā€™m trying to do is sync the M:S to Live, band start building the non-drum machine parts first, maybe just using a kick. Next I can add more drum parts as they suit the synth parts. Then once I have a basic arrangement I can record a M:S performance while the arrangement is playing. Still doesnā€™t address the desire to have multiple drum channels, but it is what it is.

I know that @SIM80 said he used the M:S and M:C in this release.

which is a tremendous record that I highly recommend checking out. but maybe he can chime in on how he worked with those two machines in writing it.

3 Likes