Anybody play around with Audioterm?

Looks cool…

1 Like

Not yet, but I belive it’s the way to get custom wavetables into the micromonsta, so will be looking at it at some point. Does look useful though.

1 Like

Researching the micromonsta is how I stumbled upon it. DOES look useful! Looks like you can synthesize random audio files(to be used where ever.)

Definitely wanna load up some wine and give it a go!

Edit: I love the fallout visuals :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah it looks ripe for getting weird!

Seems straightforward enough as well. I attempted to do something since with the blofeld but it was a bit finicky. Possibly software related, probably user error…

I have a feeling it’ll be a while before I explore that side with this new toy though as there’s a shed load of things to play about with in the box already.

1 Like

The micromonsta or the blofeld?

I’m assuming the micromonsta, but it sounds like you’ve played with the blofeld. Out of the two, which do you recommend?

1 Like

Haha yeah that could actually apply to both!

For clarity, in that context I was talking about the micromonsta.

Well I’ve had the micromonsta about 6 hours and played with it for the past 2, so I may not be able to give a balanced opinion for a few days at least, however…

I have owned two blofelds, one keys and now a module, so that should give an indication of how I feel about that particular synth.
Some say it’s cold and digital, however they are usually the same people that bemoan the matrix interface.
I feel that it’s sound isn’t cold, although it can be, and not very digital, although again it can do digital very well. I suspect as most things in this realm of ours, it depends on the person’s ability to program the machine.

The blofeld, for me, has been something I have really grown to love and I can’t imagine myself without one. For pads and arps it’s can’t be beaten

Until now…

The micromonsta (and remember this is very subjective and very much based in my honeymoon period with the machine) is everything the blofeld is, and more. For instance one of my biggest beefs with the blofeld (and my A4) is not being able to transmit Arp via midi. It frustrates me because the bleeding microkorg can do that, and it’s an entry level synth! The micromonsta does this and the Arp is really nice, perhaps not as fully featured as the blofeld, but it sends midi and the blofeld doesn’t, so it kinda balances out.

Sound wise I would be hard pressed to tell the pair apart in a blind test, on a standard saw. If pushed to choose, the micromonsta is instantly a little warmer to my ears.

Fx- I rarely use the blofeld onboard fx (have a nice analog delay pedal and a nice verb pedal for that), as they can effect the sound in a bad way- glitchy, dropouts, etc. Probably dsp limitations, however not really something I would expect to have an issue with on a synth like that.
On the micromonsta the fx are good. Yes they are digital but the delays do have a certain warmth to them. You don’t get as much as with the blofeld however. I guess it’s quality over quantity (and it has a ping pong which is always a winner for me)

Envelopes are pretty evenly matched from what I can tell. Both do passable kicks and percs. Monsta let’s you choose between a fast a slow envelope.

The filters - right at this moment, I would say the blofeld wins on this front. But only just. I’m used to the way they sound and how to sculpt with them, that being said I’m sure the micromonsta filters will become good friends soon.

Interface - I’m probably a sadist in the eyes of a lot of people, due to enjoying the blofeld interface. I find it quick, clean and simple, with most things available with a turn of a knob.
With the Monsta I was whizzing around creating patches in just a few minutes. The display isn’t great in terms of info (think Texas instruments calculator) but that’s irrelevant if you have knowledge on how to create something with a synth!

Size wise the Monsta is tiny. Mopho sort of size. Blofeld is twice the size.

So what would I recommend.

Difficult to say right now, however these factors may help someone deciding between them

With windows 10 and the blofeld I’ve had issues. The usb isn’t recognized and so occasionally I have to reboot.

The blofeld has been notorious for having encoder issues in the past

The Monsta is made of plastic. The blofeld is built like a tank.

Neither have cv. Blofeld module only has midi in.

Monsta would benefit from a reverb

I would say that if you’re looking for a digital synth, these are the ones that lead the way(in modern terms at least). Both will give you want you want, as well as complimenting any other gear very well.

I hope that’s of use!

1 Like

main disadvantage of monsta vs blofeld is that the monsta is not multi-timbral… its just 6 voice poly for 1 instrument… blofeld is 25 voices, up to 16 instuments

blofeld has many more features overall - but its not quite as immediate and instantly satisfying, also my personal preference in terms of raw sound is for the monsta

almost got one but lack of multitimbral is holding me back… plus i got an ambika a while ago and thats really doing nicely for me on poly/multis

1 Like

The Blofelds multi-timbrality is great on paper. But in practise it is limited by the processing power and the user interface that gives me a headache. I love that the Micromonsta is so much more immediate but still super deep at the same time. Small size is also a big plus. It totally wins im my book.

2 Likes

I have used audioterm to create user wavetables for the blofeld. I have gotten quite usable and cool results out of it.

2 Likes