Any way to record more than 64 steps?

Hi there,

Consider this situation :

• Scale mode: Per Track
  • Master scale: 128
  • Track 1 is loaded with a sample which length is 8 bars
    • 8 bar would require 128 steps to play the whole sample
    • As track are maxed at 64 steps, this track’s Scale is set to 64/64 at 1/2 speed, so the sample can play in it’s entirety
  • Track 2 is a Flex Track, with these Track Recorder settings:
    • TRIG: ONE
    • SRC3: Main
    • RLEN: 64, which is the max value that can be selected
    • QREC: 128

The Track Recorder only records 64 steps, which is 4 bars and only half of the sample played by Track 1

• Is there any way to record more than 64 steps ?

I tried using Scale settings 64/64 at 1/2 speed on Track 2 but no success, it records only half as well

I tried using RLEN: MAX but then the recording does not stop after 128 steps and continues indefinitly (until RAM is full). Using TRIG: ONE in addition works as expected, but it requires me to stop the recording manually by pressing REC button at the right moment, which is not ideal during a live performance.

Regards,
David

Use quantised recording method. (Not recorder trigs)
With QREC set to pattern length. (So possible to get 4, 8, 16 bar what ever you want)

There’s more detailed threads on here, video by EZbot.

Hey @Microtribe , thanks for your answer but it looks like you read my post too quickly

• QREC is already set and work as expected (recording waits correctly for the start of the loop)
  • I’m pressing REC3 manualy, I don’t use Recorder Trigs

The issue is RLEN not going above 64 steps, any way around that ?

Sorry its in memory settings

Use recorder buffer settings : trig One2, Rlen Max, Qlen Pattern length.

Press to initiate recording. Press again after recording started, OT will stop recording after pattern length (eg 8 bars or what ever you set it too).

Thanks @Microtribe

After reading the post you mentioned and a decent amount of tests, I got the hang of it :

How to record 8 bar loops:

• Track Pattern Length: 64/64 1/2
  • Master Scale: 128
  • TRIG: ONE or ONE2 (both work and seem to behave the same)
  • RLEN: Max
  • QREC: PLEN (or 128)
  • Dynamic Rec: NO, Reserved Len: whatever value equals 128 steps or above
  • Press REC3 (while out of REC mode and with active Track being the Recorder Track) - Or use armed One-shot Rec Trigs

How to record 16 bar loops:

• Track Pattern Length: 64/64 1/4
  • Master Scale: 256
  • TRIG: ONE or ONE2 (both work and seem to behave the same)
  • RLEN: Max
  • QREC: PLEN (or 256)
  • Dynamic Rec: NO, Reserved Len: whatever value equals 256 steps or above
  • Press REC3 (while out of REC mode and with active Track being the Recorder Track) - Or use armed One-shot Rec Trigs

So in essence, the recording may actualy be longer than wished (that’s the role of Reserved Length) but Sampe Trig + QREC + the adequate pattern length will mask the extra bit and loop as intended

\o/

Any hope to have RLEN 128 and 256 in a future update @Elektron ? ^^

Regards

2 Likes