Any OT / MIDI Jedi (Medi / Jidi) masters out there?

Hey all. I’m hoping someone who knows OT & general MIDI well might be able to help me here, as my problem has completely fried my brain tonight …

SETUP :
-OT as master clock, and MIDI hub.
-Triton taktile controller > MIDI into OT for recording keys on auto MIDI channel, CUE sends from the sliders and I have routed the pads on there own channel specific to my Nord Drum from the OT MIDI out, so I can play it in whatever mode the OT is in.
-The above runs through my Line6 POD500X which I’m using for guitar FX and also as a MIDI foot controller. I have set up a few presets that change patterns on the OT, works great.
All hunky dory, I’ve been using this setup for years all working well.

NEW SETUP :

• Incorporating Quantiloop on my iPad (a great looper btw) through my zoom U-24 MIDI connection to receive clock and footpedal commands from the OT output.

Now, I have found the OT passes through the triton commands to the OT out & thru no problem.
I have also found that the footpedal is set up correctly, as it works directly when plugged in to the iPad as I tested it with MIDI monitor. It also works perfectly from the MIDI thru of the OT … BUT the OT will not pass the commands from the Line6 from the MIDI out. I have tried everything, changing channels, trying CCs instead of notes, but no joy, which is really weird, as I deduced the OT must have an issue with the Line6, but it’s fine when I use the preset dedicated to changing patterns

I generally know what I am doing with the CC direct connect, auto channel, CC’s, Note on commands etc, and the general MIDI workings of the OT, but this one has got me beaten

The only solution I can see at the moment is to use a MIDI merge box to merge what is coming out of the Line6, to what is coming out of the OT (midi clock) so I can use the footpdeal to control the looper, but seems like that in itself could be problematic, and can’t see why it shouldn’t just work as the Triton does

Any clues would be welcomed before I hit it with a hammer :triumph:

EDIT : I’m thinking maybe I need an iConnectivity MIDI4+ again (sold my last one) to handle all of this

AFAIK this is the standard behaviour of most midi-out ports. If the OT receives midi at it’s autochannel, this midi is routed to the active midi-track and is sent out by the midi-out port of the OT. All other midi-channels are copied to the midi-thru …

To keep set-ups as simple as possible I use merger and splitter. The boxes of iConnectivity might be a very versatile solution, indeed.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for your input.
That is why this behaviour is weird, because the OT passes through note on messages from my Triton controller pads to my Nord drum on its own specific channel (7 in this case) at all times.
My OT autochannel is 8, and I use that with the keyboard to route to specific midi devices.
I’m trying to use the Line6 on MIDI channel 6, as there are no other assignments on that channel…
My audio channels are set from 9-16 so I can control cue sends etc on them also from my Triton, all works perfectly.

Either way, as much as I wanted to keep the setup minimal, and easy to carry / set up for gigs, it looks like I’ll go with the iConnectivity midi 4+ anyway. I’ve had the box before and it’s really useful for a whole load of stuff … I can plug my iPad, Zoom UL-24, all my midi devices and the Triton over USB into it and route anything to anywhere

This has given me an idea though …

Damn, I think you cracked it MIDI Jedi master !
It needed to have a midi track with that specific channel (6) assigned to it to be able to pass it to the midi out, even if it’s not for recording anything on.
The Triton > nord drum always worked because I had a midi channel 7 setup by default in my template !
I’ve just gone and ordered a MIDI4+ as well, but it will be useful anyhows.

Many thanks SoundRider
This forum is really great :pray:t5:

1 Like