Any Monome Grid Owners?

MLr, thanks anyway… I have a deluge but I haven’t updated fully yet, always interested in ways folks are using it, don’t know why I thought you had one…

1 Like

I do not have a deluge either and did not check if it has a monome grid mode that you can activate, but the OXI ONE has a monome grid 128 mode, which is awesome!

I just checked it roughly on the OXI ONE with NORNS and it seems to work so far, also with MLR, but I need to check further if it is 100% functional like the monome grid, but I do not see why it should not. All regular functions on the OXI are disabled and only the pads are available (just like the monome grid offers).

1 Like

sequencer only though right, it’s unfortunate no-one is filling this stand alone niche, but sorry for derailing the thread… back to monome grid owners

It is not as simple as you might think.

Monome Grid and Norns (and ARC) are an environment on their own and all the great apps that are kindly provided for free from the monome community are made to work just for this purpose. I am not a pro regarding this, so I can only assume that all the apps made for this environment needed to be updated, or rewritten to make them also work with the buttons and encoders the OXI provides and therefore it is not as easy, or simple as some people might think.

But from what I know, it is possible to map certain functions in each app to an external midi controller of your choice within NORNS and I am certain many people do this.

I hope my sort of nooby explanation makes sense now and will give you some info to understand the difficulties and challenges such a set up would probably bring in my personal opinion (others can probably explain much better) . :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe some OXI ONE (NORNS) user are already working on this and transfer some apps into the OXI environment and maybe there is a chance to see some further developments regarding this, but I guess it depends very much on the will of users to do so and not so much on companies to make it possible, if that makes sense… :thinking:

Just had a look myself, a few people in Monome forum talk about this, two videos there to show some experiences using Norns and OXI (edit: just noticed these are regular OXI ONE videos):

This may as well be shared in the OXI ONE thread I guess :thinking:

1 Like

@Airyck FYI someone is selling one of the latest grids over at MW (and lines) for $500. not a screaming deal, but decent. and you can actually get it.

2 Likes

Thanks

I ended up snagging it from him. :sunglasses: Thanks for the heads up! Most people have been selling them for $700+

Supposed to be more available in June, but this works out at a slight discount and I have no issues with lightly used :wink:

I’ll probably still build a 256 at some point anyway though. At least this way I can get started and give it a go on the real thing.

5 Likes

congrats! let us all know how you get on with it! glad you were able to snag the deal! :+1:

2 Likes

I’ll report back once I make something with it :slight_smile:

1 Like

It arrived a few days ago.

Okay, so I’ve only used the “terms” stuff and the “Mark Eats” sequencer so far.

Both are pretty simple (especially terms stuff), but that’s kind of what I wanted from it. Quick setup and minimal complexity to make useable material quickly.

Today I sequenced some basslines and simple looped melodies. I just recorded the audio while sequencing and it’s pretty much what I expected.

I was able to get some interesting stuff out of it really quickly so I’m happy with it.

I would still like 256 as expected so I may build that one. I can also see myself making my own sequencer for it down the road when I have time.

5 Likes

it’s crazy how rectangular the buttons look in that pic :eyes:

2 Likes

Wide angle lens seems to have distorted the squares :joy:

1 Like

Both great.

Some of my other old favorites: the party van, polygome, press cafe, and parc.

Have fun!

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check some of those out.

I also found someone who had made the awesome “Mono Sequencer” controllable from a 128 grid :slight_smile:

I think I’ll play with this one for a while.

here’s the archive thread I found it in:

http://archive.monome.org/community/discussion/16318/gridarc-controller-app-for-mono-sequencer-maxforlive/p1.html

1 Like

Grids are back in stock, if anyone was waiting.

I’m on the fence, because really want one for my norns shield, but not sure how much I’d use it since I don’t use my norns, or would I use my norns more with a grid? :thinking: Also shields out is really noisy, idk if this leads to a regular norns, slippery slope.

Sounds like a bunch of other use cases, and its form factor is great compared to my push 2 which takes up half my desk.

you would use your norns more with the grid. there’s a few other use cases as im sure youre aware but the main focus of development for it is with norns

1 Like

You can also use it with VCV Rack via the ported Monome modules.

2 Likes

if you really want to get the full monome experience, you should definitely try the grid. they’re very hands on and beautiful to interact with. and some of the best norns scripts use it heavily.

1 Like

I built a neotrellis shortly after a shieldXL and really enjoy the combo. Cheat Codes 2 is hitting the same experimental sampling sweet spots as the OT did for me, worth the price of entry alone. Fwiw shieldXL does not suffer from the same noise issues as shield, and the denki oto store is frequently restocked

1 Like