Any 'keyboard' like the OT?

This might sound a bit strange. I really love the using the trigs as a simple keyboard.

Is there any miniature keyboard that feels like this, so I can use it in Ableton?

-Mechanical button press
-Plastic or anything rather than squishy
-Short travel
-Equal distance between chromatic notes [not a real ‘keyboard’] [ideally]
-Velocity sensitivity off [optional]
-Circular or square is fine
-Similar size [so they fit under each finger, like a guitar almost - a key is larger and wider and requires a further press]

Thanks!

The Korg nanokey sounds pretty similar

1 Like

That is a good one, I will take a look!

Btw, just added [cus I’m analyzing it a bit]

this would be a bonus, missing in Nanokeys:
Equal distance between chromatic notes [not a real ‘keyboard’] [ideally]

Why don’t you just use the OT to play instruments in Ableton?

It’s a good question. I might be changing to a computer sampler and go with the analog rytm. So a $1000 USB controller is a bit much. Also, I like space over almost anything

What about your computer keyboard? I don’t use ableton but I’m sure you can use a ‘virtual midi keyboard’ with the computer keys; you can do that in Reaper anyway. You could even get a gaming mechanical keyboard for extra clickyness.

4 Likes

I know the feeling! Ive always wished they made a version of the op-1 that was just a midi keyboard. I’d buy it instantly. If you’ve got the funds op-1 would be my best suggestion

Edit: just read you don’t wanna spend so much. If you get a chance to give it a go though I still recommend it

2 Likes

How about the „Midi Fighter“ controller? It basically consists of 16 arcade buttons and has some additional tricks under the hood

2 Likes

I really like idea of the midi fighter. Anyone use one without DAW - thinking OT or iPad - how to solve the lack of midi din / not enough power from iPad…?

Wouldn’t mind configuring on computer but wouldn’t use on one

Thanks for the suggestions. I might keep the OT…

Found something called Xkeys 16 as well…