Any DSI Evolver love?

You make me want to get an Evolver again. It was one of my first synths, and I didn’t properly mess with the 8-bit digital oscillators. Just trying all the different combinations FMing one another sounds like a load of fun.
[/quote]
Great instrument. Sounds lovely, very deep and supremely designed; except the graphics which are awful!
FTR the digital oscillators are 12bit 2s complement and user waves can be 16bit. I can’t quite recall correctly how the binary maths pan out (i tried creating user waves and importing existing VS ones to view), but I think you end up with 11bits worth of resolution on the factory waves. Either way, it’s crunchy, but not 8bit crunchy. (though the user waves could host 8bit ‘shapes’)
The tunable delay lines and the sheer depth make this one of the most sophisticated little boxes ever. Curse that numeric display though, easy to forget the cryptic symbols if you don’t play it in a while - the outs are nicely hot too. A steal second hand for what you get

1 Like

yeah, I already feel like AR + evolver is going to be a killer combo for making berlin style tek music. No need to have midi out on the AR since the evo seq works, and you can even change presets in a way that keeps the sequencers in sync.

Not a fan of the UI though, and the iPad editor I bought is a bit fiddly to use, so filling up those preset banks with loopy tek fm hellscapes / resonating donkospheres is going to take a while…

the outputs on the evolver might also be loud enough for the AR’s input - hmm gotta try this next! Then I’d only need one stereo pair out (although I bet the evolver would like a lil eventide aux love for certain patchs)

1 Like

When are you releasing your editor?

erm, sometime after I typed this :wink: - should really get down to it, at least the evolver isn’t going to evolve os wise
doing something better on the user wave front was where I wanted to go with it
Cycling’74 changed all their Max UI elements in the last major release so I need to work out if i’d want to finish it in an earlier version or migrate !

2 Likes

You make me want to get an Evolver again. It was one of my first synths, and I didn’t properly mess with the 8-bit digital oscillators. Just trying all the different combinations FMing one another sounds like a load of fun.
[/quote]
Great instrument. Sounds lovely, very deep and supremely designed; except the graphics which are awful!
FTR the digital oscillators are 12bit 2s complement and user waves can be 16bit. I can’t quite recall correctly how the binary maths pan out (i tried creating user waves and importing existing VS ones to view), but I think you end up with 11bits worth of resolution on the factory waves. Either way, it’s crunchy, but not 8bit crunchy. (though the user waves could host 8bit ‘shapes’)
The tunable delay lines and the sheer depth make this one of the most sophisticated little boxes ever. Curse that numeric display though, easy to forget the cryptic symbols if you don’t play it in a while - the outs are nicely hot too. A steal second hand for what you get[/quote]
Ah, yes. I stand corrected; I must’ve been thinking of the Acid8 I’ve been eagerly awaiting to arrive. 12-bit sounds fine to me. Actually, that’s my favorite bit rate. Can the Evolver’s digital oscillators be used as modulation sources to do something like modulate the pitch of an analog oscillator?

Very tempted but it seems that it won’t bring too much to the table if you already own an A4.

I was gonna say no - it’s just the
Osc3 > 4 Fm & 4 > 3
plus
3 > 4 / 4 > 3 RingMod
but there are 4 general modulation slots which allow you to modulate anything(almost) with anything(almost) - including that permutation
That’s a great idea if you think of the possibilities of what a user could store in a digital wave slot - quite keen to investigate sometime in 2016 - here’s a glimpse of most of the modulation routing inc Sources and Destinations
may be necessary to open image in a new tab to zoom text to readable - images always show up small on here …

1 Like

Yes, the Evolver’s digital oscillators (osc 3 & osc 4) can modulate:

• any or all osc frequency
  • any or all osc level
  • the other digital osc by FM
  • noise level
  • external in level
  • osc 1 & osc 2 pulse widths

and many filter, delay, LFO, and envelope parameters.

Yeah, I have to get one now. I really want the MEK because of how much easier it is to program, but I’ll probably settle for the desktop. The digital oscillators as modulation sources seals the deal for me. It’s strange how hard it is to find this feature in a synth.

1 Like

bear in mind that the modulations might not yield as smooth results as you would hope to, there is something in the manual stating that certain modulation routings can produce “unexpected results”, most likely due to low res / slow modulation rates internally? So FMing the analog osc with the digital (you wont get linear FM either due to DC?) might not sound super smooth. But then again, you can upload your own 16bit SCWFs to the digioscs… gonna give this a go :imp:

btw, why does the analog osc triangle waveform sound weird? anyone? I was thinking of uploading a more vanilla triangle wave to the digi osc slots, because I :heart: FM with triangle waves! besides FM, it’s my fave waveform anyway…

1 Like

The Evolver is a very hard to tame beast with all kinds of noisy glitches and strange stuff going on all the time. The possibilities are nearly endless and you will most likely end up somewhere else than you started off with when programming that digital/analog hybrid.

Love it since I got the Desktop Evolver 2004 and later the PEK.

1 Like

I agree. It doesn’t bring much to the table. Well, except for…

[ul]
[li]Voices: 1 (plus 4-part combo mode)[/li]
[li]Oscillators per voice: 4 (two analog, 2 digital)[/li]
[li]Oscillator Type: analog DCO (2), plus digital (2)[/li]
[li]Waveshapes: Prophet VS waveshapes as well as user loadable waveshapes[/li]
[li]It can do FM (wow, imagine that)[/li]
[li]Analog Filters: 1 low-pass (Curtis) 2- or 4-pole 1 custom high-pass[/li]
[li]Effects: 3 Digital Delays, Distortion, Tuned Feedback, Hack (bit-crushing)[/li]
[li]Mod Matrix: 4x2, 24 sources, 75 destinations[/li]
[li]LFOs: 4[/li]
[li]Envelopes: 3 per voice, with repeat/loop[/li]
[li]Sequencer: 16 x 4 gated MIDI step sequencer[/li]
[li]Polychain: 16-voices max[/li]
[li]MIDI: In, Out/Thru, Poly Chain, and a MIDI implementation created by the guy who wrote the fucking spec.[/li]
[li]It’s hideous to look at[/li]
[/ul]

I’m sure I missed a bunch of key things… :wink: [/quote]
Sarcasm is so smooth when supported by facts. :+1:
Thank you. I wont even try to explain my weak comment.

… including an envelope follower on the audio input, quarter-tone tuning for the oscillators, and the many modes for triggering the sequencer.
There’s a lot of overlap between the Evolver and the AF/AK, but also a lot of important differences. I know which I prefer, but I can see how great either would be in the right setup.
The Pro2 also has interesting overlaps with the AF/AK.

1 Like

The digital OSC makes it very unique that A4 just can’t create the kind of sounds Evolver can. Then again there are sounds in A4 that Evolver can’t create.
A4 sounds very smooth and Evovler sounds very crunchy. I think they complement each other very well.

1 Like

The fact that you can use the digital OSCs to modulate all kinds of destinations at the audio frequency is pretty slick. It’s what also makes me want a Pro 2 Desktop to exist. :alien:

1 Like

The Evolver can cover a large varity of sounds.
It can sound very warm and soft if you handle it carefully, i.e. keep OSC level fairly mid to low, no distortion or output hack, choosing the right digital OSC waves, no harsh modulation etc.

Check out my (rather popular) demo:

http://soundcloud.com/stuartm/dsi-evolver-demo

4 Likes

They did : no midi out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

[quote="" elenacortes""]

They did : no midi out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]
No! The Evolver’s sequencer can send MIDI note messages! :astonished:

1 Like

They did : no midi out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]
No! The Evolver’s sequencer can send MIDI note messages! :astonished: [/quote]
Are you saying that the sequencer can be used to send notes to other gear ? I didn’t know that.
I will check it tomorrow. But i’m very surprise to read that. It seems to me that it was not possible.
If it’s the case, must retrieve my sacarstic remark

The last five or six sequencer destinations are midi.