Any DSI Evolver love?

My MEK had upgraded encoder boards and Prophet 08 knob when I bought it. Both are excellent

They’ve changed their website a bit since I sent my PEK board in for repair (at one time they had a section with prices for p6 knob upgrade etc.) but if you contact them via email I’m sure they’re still doing repairs. They have stopped offering the potentiometer upgrade kit and Carson said there were no plans to reintroduce it. My repair was turned around within the week with them paying return postage. Excellent comms too.

1 Like

I’ve never played a Tetra but reading about it suggests it’s akin to the analog half of the Evolver. But Tetra pads over an Evolver sequence or drone would be days of fun.

I upgraded my MEK with encoders (right before they discontinued it). I’m in the minority here (the potentiometer option is apparently more popular) but I like encoders on preset synths.

I don’t have a huge amount of experience with other synths but I really like the feel of the keyboard.

1 Like

There was a member of the old DSI forum who ganged up three or so PEK’s and made pipe organ-esque compositions. It was absolutely huge!

1 Like

The MEK is my ‘special sauce’ to my live sets. I’ve been playing out with the MEK, and dark trinity (keys edition) and a DIgitone. I route the evolver through the octa and then use a zed14 for my summing needs.

All I have to say is … i fucking love my ‘mean bastard’ synth:loopy:

I’ve had mine since 2006 and it’s pretty much my old faithful at this point.

here’s an awful vid (terrible placement) of me at a show …

Octatrack mk1
Analog Keys
RYTM mk1
Digitone
MEK (mean bastard synth)
ZED14

cheers

oh … and this quote right here is very accurate :evil:

2 Likes

MEK & PEK are pure secret weapons! I love mine :smiley:

2 Likes

Great thread. Inspired me to get out my old desktop which I hadn’t used for a while. Totally forgot how nice it sounds. Now hooked up permanently (for now) through the Elektrons and dreamily looping away - lovely.

2 Likes

I agree with all of this. I like encoders on this and is very nice welling synth

I am pleased to report that all I needed was a new switching adapter to revive my beloved PEK (PE)! No need for any repair of any kind. Happy ending indeed.

I’m so relieved!

The original adapter that shipped with the unit way back when is rated 15v 1.7A, so I had a new one made with a higher max amperage output, whilst maintaining the required 15v. I guess the old switching adapter wore out due to age?

Reunited, and it feels so gooood… lol

Hope everyone remembers this, just in case some weirdness happens with their Evolver’s. Chances are all that’s needed is a new switching adapter. :+1:

6 Likes

The cable coming out of the transformer end of mine is showing copper so I need to replace my PSU too.

Lovely.

happy for you, i took a break from mine for a while, for two years. When I brought it back into my setup a little over a year ago, I literally completed my sound. :slight_smile:

That happened to mine a while ago, I use one that technically was for a prophet 08 and it works fine.

1 Like

That’s handy to know! Thank you,

I never got to try the keyboards poly or mono but the desktop evolver with almost my first sentence and it really is the one that got away because someone sold it out from under me and I love that since I almost think about it every day it’s like eight years later the grooves did it first out or so filthy and sick he just can’t use it like a normal since you know it’s too harsh to run guitarist of you it’s just it’s OK for ascent but for using it my matrix and those three delete engines and it’s for variable sized tracks- it’s pretty ridiculously filthy (And I might add sick super deluxe psychedelic cruise and that’s without any external effects or anything my only problem with it was it kind of demanded everything it was hard to blend in with other since I had that And Blofeld at the same time and they just did two different things I could get drums to go in with the evolver ,But that’s about it although some of it I’m sure it was my skill level at the time but I just always felt like I was missing something to make it work with other stuff like reverb maybe I don’t know … but it’s just that , for me , personally speaking the type of grooves that it posts out are so amazing that I don’t just use it as inspiration for other things because it’s so many happy accidents pop out of that thing and I never really even got too much into making my own sequences because it has a bunch in there and you could just change the presets and mostly it’s all about switching to the three delay engines and four sequencer tracks and linking them to modulation and stuff it just gets —— it’s crazy I love it)

2 Likes

+1

1 Like

"sick super deluxe psychedelic cruise "

If Jack Kerouac did gear reviews this would be what they were like…and also totally spot on, I love my MEK !

5 Likes

This little ditty is all MEK

9 Likes

Nice , which parts were done with evolver?

And which other synths and drum machines?

1 Like

Cheers! All done with the MEK. Drums too. I like to go old school sometimes and see what I can get out of just one instrument. The Evolvers have a rep for having a certain kind of sound but I’ve always thought they’re pretty versatile

5 Likes

For anyone interested there’s a nice looking MEK for sale on Ebay here in the UK. Collect only from Barnsley, South Yorks. £700 looks a fair price too.

No connection to me, just stumbled upon the ad.

2 Likes