Any ableton wizards? FX chain question

i’ve made an FX chain in ableton and mapped a controller to it to sort of emulate sp404 multi FX. all working great but iv’e tried to add wet/dry functionality using the chain selector and a blank chain set up like so.

problem being as I fade through from the FX to the blank chain at a point in the middle both chains playing simultaneously is giving me slight phasing issues. any ideas how I can counteract this?

I just use the Macros to assign the dry wets. I tried also with the chains but never fixed the phasing issue. Hopefully someone else can chime in here and help both of us.

yeah everything’s set up on macros and mapped to the controller through that, its a lot of fun. it would be super useful to get dry/wet working for the whole chain though. so far i’ve tried a phase inverter, it changes the problem but doesn’t fix it, I think its because with one chain being processed the waveform is slightly different so flipping it is just creating a different problem. I tried to use the simple delay set to ms to try and delay the blank chain slightly with slight success but i’ve still got problems, mostly with the snare and hats

Are you using any high latency plugins on your chain? I know some Maxforlive devices ( Crap Casette in my case) add a good chunk of latency which may be hurting it. If the delay offest didn’t work for you, maybe check for another Maxforlive solution?

Is the wet control for each device in the fx chain set to 100%?

ableton racks confuse the crap out of me.
But my solution has been buying them: racksforlive. https://racksforlive.com/
the sp404 rack is pretty good at $10 bucks and might give you a few ideas and maybe solve some issues, also the asr10 and asrx effects are excellent. I use all three with the digitakt and OB. There is also a digitakt rack which i’m yet to try out.

2 Likes

I think it’s a difference in latency, which is caused by the different plug-ins… Since the source of sound is equal for both chaines, there seems to be enough similar audio left to make phase differences audible.

I would try to use a phase-shifting plug-in in one of the chains, which only does phase-shifting until the effect is no longer noticeable.

I haven’t had this before myself, but I would try a very short delay, just to compensate the time difference, because shifted phase equals to shifted time :wink:

There are also pro-plug-ins out there like:

• Voxengo PHA-979. They say: "…PHA-979 is a professional audio AAX, AudioUnit and VST plugin which allows you to apply an arbitrary phase shift to sound material… ".
  • Waves InPhase

Maybe there are freebies also :wink:

If it’s an out-of-phase issue, use the same plugins in both chains but switch them off in the dry chain. The plugins will still add their latency to the chain when deactivated.

1 Like

I dont currently have a DAW. Im playing with the DT and an ASR10 pulled out of storage, what is the best set up?

Do I need ensoniq floppy samples and send them via midi to the DT?