Any 2 elektron boxes for organic ambient space techno

This is the most boring aspect of many music forums, the snobbish attitude is really, really grating. Can be about gear, music taste, technique, it doesn’t matter, it’s just boring as fuck every single time.

3 Likes

So why beef then?

1 Like

imo easily avoided by providing some examples some artist names or tracks or whatever… when I first read the title I associated it with mellow dub techno, which really fits the description, but after reading the second addition I figured OP’s probably talking about what I call (and love) minimal hypnotic techno, so not the same thing really and again, a simple example would helped…

1 Like

IMO this calls for many modulation sources and destinations. For synths I would say A4 or Syntakt. For sampler OT - obviously :wink:

OT

OT

Additionally I would check out a decent reverb/delay section. But I would use external gear like pedals from Eventide, Strymon, or others you might like.

1 Like

…u need sampling AND synthesis…for no matter what ur up to…

so just have a look around on the 2nd hand market and find an a4 mk1 and a ot mk1…
both mk1 versions are out there for pricetags that make them a real steal…

or go square to be there and find a dt and a dn…
another killer combo…

end of the of day, any swedish combo that covers both basic concepts in one way or the other will do totally fine…

4 Likes

Regarding organic ambient, you might look at Substan from this forum: Substan music - #74 by substan

A synth + samples combo is the most logical/powerful combo here, regardless of the devices.
I would say either DT + DN or DT + ST, and you feel the need for more you can maybe replace the DT by an OT.

• ST + DT: the more immediate combo, super flexible
  • DN + DT: more synthesis options (and polyphony if you require it), especially for experimental stuff

Along with the DT, you can grab a portable Zoom recorder and go recording nature in the wild for the organic samples.

4 Likes

OT MK2 plus A4/ST/DT to Taste (I would go Syntakt) and you are good to go.

1 Like

Cheers - ST/OT or ST/DT sounds very appealing - loved the ST when I had one. DT vs OT is a big choice but I like the idea of having one digi, one flagship.

1 Like

I don’t know, such a mystery!

Elektron Octatrack + Korg Wavestate. Or if you want something more compact, OT and Roland MC-101.

Maybe even throw in a Roland SP-404mk2 for more processing and mangling, but you said you wanted Elektrons.

Glad to hear you are having fun and taking the comments in stride. Disappointed that @Fin25 has yet to deliver the promised dogs though.

3 Likes

I tried this morning but you were out and, to be honest, I’ve made a bit of a mess around your letterbox…

3 Likes

I would think majority of the Elektron boxes by them self would make any type of electronic music you’d like. DN, though only 4 tracks, is quite the machine on its own.

My favorite wombo combo that I had the pleasure of owning was a DN and AR! The DN OT combo was cool but I mostly sampled the DN and took the OT out on its own!

1 Like

Great, now I’m going to have to double the holiday gratuity for the door staff this year…

2 Likes

To be fair, they weren’t much help.

Although one of them did offer to call the Police, but I wasn’t really sure how much help they would have been.

2 Likes

Cheers! OT seems to be a consistent suggestion - and I would definitely like running everything through it and the performance options. I had one years ago - too soon in my musical journey - but remember making stuff I never would have made without it, and that’s very appealing.

ST/OT currently my choice. I have the argon 8 so DN lower down the list.

1 Like

With OT you have many more functional options compared to other samplers. Each track can be from old-school sample playback to a mixing channel.

Its audio in and outs can be used very flexible.

first mistake.

worst mistake.

you leave sting out of this.

with polyphony already covered, this sounds like the logical choice but don’t dismiss analog four without giving it a proper listen. to my ears, far more organic sounding than ST.

4 Likes

I’ve seen musicologists put out the knife while arguing, unaware that each just had a different definition of a common (!) musical term, resulting in all cross talk. There’s no way to know if one person’s interpretation of a word aligns with someone elses.

But a sound says more than a thousand words.

10 Likes

Gary Hayes is the master, check out what he does with various elektron devices on his YouTube page for some ideas on ambient.

https://youtube.com/@GaryHayes

1 Like

Is this what you meant by “organic”?
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/15ln4og/a_little_bit_of_nonsense_i_created_in_the_digitakt/