Anti-GAS

But please do

1 Like

Another anti-GAS consideration that popped up on my radar recently is the the Diderot effect.
I’m trying keep this concept in mind whenever I conclude I “need” something new on my desk.

Also, Tyler Durden.
things you own

14 Likes

“Process of spiraling consumption”? No idea what you’re on about! (Super interesting, and indeed a super practical/valuable argument to oneself for giving some anti-gas)

2 Likes

Gearslutz’ and similar “battle station” forum curation towards acquisition and hype is prime example of that unhealthy attitude.

3 Likes

This gassing all stems from not getting the girlfriend you wanted at high school. Its therapy.

2 Likes

By the end of this thread we’ll all be in monasteries

This and the ‘what’s stopping you realizing your goals’ one are causing me some uncomfortable but (I suspect) valuable soul searching

3 Likes

I always got the girl I wanted, but I’d always give up the music for the girl. A bad move every time.

3 Likes

Thanks for the link. Was unaware of this phenomenon. I hate my untrained monkey mind!

1 Like

Do you have a name for those 2 pieces?

Me too, two more pieces : TR-06 and Typhon. I need a portable setup.

2 Likes

Or gassing for the new Elektron device.

2 Likes

GLS.
Gear love syndrome.

I love the gear I have. I’m busy playing with it, making music. Sure there are lots of other shiny synths out there. But I’m happy with what I have, and Its a life time study- making new sounds with synths/samplers/drum machines. I dont need any new gear.

GLS.

7 Likes

GLS huh? Might finally be getting there.

Minilogue XD for analog.
Model Cycles for percussion.
Digitone for sequencing and everything else magic that it can do (once I finally get comfortable with it).
Oh! And Gecho Loopsynth for weird ambient experiences.

Shoot. Digitone may replace the Minilogue once I get it down.

2 Likes

Full disclosure: I caved and bought the virus b. Seller dropped the price. :rofl:.
Slides in to supplement my mpc 2500 / BSII / MC / Typhon / NTS / Keystep setup. It met my rather arbitrary criteria and they don’t show in AUS very often.
Probably overkill for my needs but easily flipped should the time come. Lots to explore between now and then.

2 Likes

Keep the XD and sequence it from the digitone. Give it some extra LFOS. Great pair.

2 Likes

:exploding_head:
Holy moly that’s right!
You can CV more LFOs!

Thanks! I was kinda feeling guilty for considering selling it.

2 Likes

Well, MIDI LFOs…

4 Likes

Oh, I thought it might have to be CV. If I can do it with MIDI it could be even easier. Thanks for the correction!

So in a way the girl(s) were anti-gas :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m sure there are people who have something to say about an aspiring synthesizer hobbit life…just know that anyone on this forum who wins the lottery will never find themselves with a lamborghini. I’m just saying. May your electronic playground be all you ever hoped it would be my brother/sister.

2 Likes

I’m on the edge when it comes to the virus. I actually had a B wayyyyyyy back in the day, but my research shows so much trash talk about aliasing etc. How’s your experience so far?

1 Like