Another OT workflow question (still don't have one)

So…Recording and sampling. What’s the best way to handle these sorts of things? You know…The primary function of the Octatrack :stuck_out_tongue:

From what I’ve seen from videos, you can record a long list of samples. For instance, you arm one track to record and then you play a bass hit, a chord stab, a few drum hits, etc. Then you have one single audio file with these different hits. Do you then take each individual one and rename it? Is this efficient? Or is there a better way to do this sort of thing? Is it better to, say, get a whole folder of kicks from your computer and put it onto the OT (via USB, right?)? But I suppose if you just wanted a quick and dirty workflow then the former way would be nice? It all depends on the context?

What I don’t get is let’s say I wanted to record songs from my iPod right into it. Maybe a loop of a bar or two. What would be the best way to do this? Do I have to first detect the BPM? Any video would be helpful.

Furthermore, what’s been your experience with sampling recordings of waveforms? Like if I were to sample a saw wave from my MnM? What sorts of magic can happen then? I know that you can only pitch things up or down an octave.

So yeah…This thing is coming in the mail soon and I’ve been reading the manual and watching videos. I think I’m still just generally confused about the hierarchy only because I haven’t physically put my hands on it and figured it out. All of the concepts are a bit nebulous to me right now.

Thanks dudes.

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Curious about some workflow of the OT (don’t have one)