Analogue Solutions Colossus : Inspired by EMS SYNTHI 100

My head has exploded. Kudos to the designer. A feat of engineering.

6 Likes

I was ready to lose my mind (and sell my stuff) until I saw this:

No circuit from the Synthi has been cloned or copied

Still, what an undertaking! I wonder if walls will have to be removed to get this one into the studio?

3 Likes

25k! If only they’d follow the Behringer pricing strategy :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

“The original Synthi was so large it wouldn’t fit through a standard doorway. We didn’t make that mistake but don’t underestimate it’s size.”

looks like depth is just under 28 inches.

shame it’s not based on the Synthi but it’s still very impressive.

4 Likes

Albeit not being a true synthi 100 , it would be absolutely fantastic to recreate the workflow on something that is so large format. If i had a choice between a moog 55 or this . i would definitely get this!
(But i’d get a Buchla 200e first , if money was no issue , RIP ever having a mortgage i live in a forest of bananas now!)

1 Like

This made me think about what it would take to build a true replica of the Synthi 100. Mostly a lot of metal and woodworking, plus the nightmarish wiring on those matrices. Pretty much everything in the ems synths is still available and the circuits are not too hard - or costly - to replicate. Quite the opposite, actually.

This is way cool, though, and it turned my head fast enough to threaten whiplash. If it had been an actual Synthi repro, I might have started selling stuff off before this day was through.

1 Like

:flushed:

I’ll wait for a behringer version @ 250 euros

2 Likes

Uhhh my mouth is hanging open and my chin is covered in spittle. Look closely and you’ll see that even the hair in my nostrils is standing on end. I would like to own this. Congratulations to Analogue Solutions and their success in this industry!

2 Likes

Holy crap.

2 Likes

Yeah maybe in circuit design, but common. This is a TRUE Colossus!

I wish Elektron would make a machine that size, no menu diving on any parameters, separate step sequencer for arp, swing, etc… Not at that price though!

5 Likes

I would be onboard with that. What would be hilarious would be if it was that big but still only had a 64-step sequencer.

2 Likes

Who the hell buys such nonsense?
It’s worth more than all the musical gear I purchased in 20 years. And I’ve not been reasonable, oh no.

Curious to hear what incredible sounds this produces.

5 Likes

Seems a little impractical… :stuck_out_tongue:

Heh yeah you’re right that it is somewhat nonsensical, but I think it’s really meant to be that way. He even mentions on the page “It will be prominent in your studio, or art gallery!” I don’t think it’s meant to be especially reasonable, more like a hardcore statement and a tax write-off for a studio or artist. There’s no denying the Analogue Solutions circuits and designs, so I’m sure it will sound very nice as well. It’s pretty ostentatious, but I’ve seen modular set-ups on the Your Set-Ups thread that I know cost much more than this. When you see fairly simple eurorack modules selling for 400-500 USD, those costs will add up to 10-20K very quickly.

1 Like

Spend 25k and have it sound like a DFAM. :joy:

3 Likes

yeah I have definitely seen whole setups that are worth more than this. or just modular setups that are. stuff adds up!

my issue would be service and repairs. it would be basically impossible to ship the thing anywhere for repair. you’d have to have a tech come over and work on it. or know how to yourself. and I’m not saying that Analogue Solutions make bad stuff, but I’ve definitely read about them having their fair share of issues over the years (as with any manufacturer). with all the wiring and circuits in that thing, you never know… one bad capacitor could take the whole thing down!

4 Likes

battery powered?

3 Likes

Definately in function , but not sound , there is a reason people still crave the EMS synthi AKS sound!
But the way an instrument controls is a part of that too. Which it seems to have nailed! Regardless i am sure it will sound fantastic and be a joy to use. For the pockets that are deep enough!