Analogue Rytm continually reboots

Hi guys.

So I had a total failure of my Octatrack which was sent back and replaced. Now my Alanogue Rytm won’t boot up, similar fatal failure.

Only had it a few months but it has always randomly rebooted itself and had issues with pads not working right, but now it won’t even boot up. Short vid shows.

I can’t be the only one surely.? But again I am of the feeling there is no way in the world I can go on stage with my main instruments rebooting at random and then can’t get working again.

The advice from support when they fixed my OT was - that I shouldn’t rely on these products, I should always have a backup instrument when playing live.

Really? I spend £3k and can’t use them professionally because they can’t be relied on just to work??

Sorry to sound so pissed off but I’ve never experienced such a poor record from any equipment, and this is some of the lost expensive kit I have bought.

I would appreciate again views from experienced people on here. But as I’m sue this sounds, I’m absolutely at the end of my patience with Elektron. I don’t want to be but I’ve been months unable to progress my live set as there is always an Elektron product not working at any given time.

Opinions appreciated.

• can’t upload my 6 second vid as it’s too big for this site.

Basic check but are you using 12v power box?

I’m using the power supply that came with the AR.

Yes 12v

Have you tried a test reboot? Think you hold function when switching on, select test option.

Yes tried that but no effect. Just continually flashes screen on for like a fraction of a second and reboots. Nothing I do seems to interrupt its constant rebooting.

Still under warranty?

Oh yes I’ve only had it. A couple of months. My Octatrack was 4 weeks old when it failed and I sent it back to Sweden. Have logged a ticket and am expecting to be sending the AR back as well.

1 Like

Sounds like a returner…but could be a faulty psu…or lose connection inside.

empty reset helps -I had a similar problem

I suggest you aks a unit replacement just in case. This does not sound normal.

I can tell you that in almost three years my OT hasn’t ever had a hiccup, besides of course finding weird OT user errors and a couple minor “bug” type behaviors to avoid… Had my Rytm for almost three years as well and it did lock up one time right after I got it, but that was multiple os’s ago and has been perfectly stable for over two years since. Sometimes I turn them both on in the morning and leave them on all day into the night, no probs…
I would definitely send the Rytm back…

Thanks guys and yes I have to accept it is a return. Just feels like really bad luck. My OT was back out within an hour of arriv No so it was clearly a replacement.

Maybe I’ll get a MKII back…although not with my luck.

I was just getting excited about how it was all sounding.

@species unfortunately the reboot loop it is stuck in now is very persistent - it just keeps rebooting no matter what, so I can’t do an empty reset, can’t get into the bios menu, nothing.

Have you tried it on a different power circuit in your house? Maybe there is something iffy in your wiring that is causing all your hardware to die. Once upon a time I was having heaps of problems with my mixer and music pc, had to keep replacing failing parts until i got the wiring checked. Also if you have many devices chained off the same point, it might be worth plugging it in somewhere just by itself. Even if it is this, maybe the damage has already been done, but something to think about.

“The advice from support when they fixed my OT was - that I shouldn’t rely on these products, I should always have a backup instrument when playing live”

Not that I am anywhere even close, but if I were gigging on a pro level I would absolutely want backups of all the gear I use on stage. Of course, i would also have oodles of money and roadies to pack my gear around for me, haha.

Am not aware of any power issues - I have lots of electrical gear but only the two Elektron products have ever failed so I find t hard to see that the issue is my power supply. Also I am not in any kind of rural area or anything, I am in central London.

With regards to reliability - yes it is fair to assume backups - I was a drummer for 25 years and of course least had spare sticks, spare snare drum, kick pedal etc, but this is a bit different. What backup do you take with you that could replace the Octatrack for example??

Plus the failures happen without notice and when they do the music stops and the machine either takes several reboots or doesn’t come back at all - so even with backup products, the dancefloor would halt when the music stops. Catastrophic failure not acceptable for any serious product.

If Elektron advise the products can’t be relied on then they are not viable professional products.

I get that folks on here seem to not have any problems but these failures I have experienced can’t be worked around and obviously I’m not making it up. So it leaves me feeling I have no choice. It to sell my Elektron gear and give up on this whole approach. I will need to find another way of playing my music to paying audiences. So totally soul destroying - bear in mind the time I put into preparing and programming that is now lost - months of work.

I do not understand why you do not just ask for replacement units.

This customer care nonsense they replied to you - ignore it. Aint no way they will officially state that. I bet if someone asked about this from Cenk, or the CEO of elektron, they could not stand behind this bs.

Fact of the matter remains, if you’re under warranty, elektron is obligated to fix these for you.

I’m suspecting a bad batch of powersupplies or something like that… not unknown in this business, alrhough this kind of “accidents” are usually not officially aknowleged/admitted to.

I have requested replacement and did receive for the OT. I expect the same for the AR.

My issue is I’ve now had complete failures on both the OT and AR that happened some time after I had been using them so my confidence for using onstage as my primary instruments seems very risky at best. If this happened during a gig I would need to stop mid set and just pack up and go home.

For stage gear surely reliability is #1 priority and I have had 100% failure rate so far. I’m sure I will get the AR back fixed but my confidence in Elektron gear is totally shot.

Sorry to hear you’ve had this happen to you. fwiw all my elektron products have always worked without any power supply issues.