Analog Rytm only Albums?

But it was used on tour. Could’ve highlighted that section.

Released this one 3 years ago. 100% Analog Rytm doing ambient.

6 Likes

Well I basically make all my tracks on the AR. To me, it’s a really inspiring, limited canvas to work on, which I love. No more than 12 tracks/8 polyphony works great to not overdo stuff. The sound of the AR is also unlike anything else, its warm and punchy. Songmode works great for doing full, varied tracks.

2 things I dislike making complete songs, and I hope a firmware update will fix:

• The AR can sound too heavy, there’s so much low end weight, that theres a constant struggle to get rid of too much low frequencies. This could be solved using ob and a daw to mix, but that takes away from the workflow imo. We really need a base-width filter for the samples!
  • I chop samples by using the startpoint finetuning trick and the amp envelope retrigger trick I discovered (I explained both in the tips&tricks thread). Even though it works, and I’m now pretty quick that way, theres always a sense that I’m using the machine in a weird, illogical way. I hope elektron will add more precision to samplestart/end to just make the AR behave like it should.
14 Likes

Dope, will check this out!

1 Like

Was about to post that as well

1 Like

Posted here before, if you are interested there are more details and sound settings (further down the page).

2 Likes

Rytm only track by chap calling themself Astronoize. Amazing!

MK1 by the way :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’ve watched all your YouTube videos and all are great songs. They inspired me to put my MPC aside and make the Rytm my main sampler for now. I too am enjoying the limited track count.

2 Likes

Luke’s Anger tracks are mostly Rytm MK2 by itself.

Here’s a big album from 2020

Not sure which are only Rytm, or which employ OT and/or Tempest. Not sure it matters as he extracts his own style out of his tools, regardless of which are selected.

4 Likes

Also sorry for the self promo but here’s one of mine from a few years ago. There are a few little synth additions here and there but it’s 97% AR. Put all of the tracks together over a month while visiting New Orleans, hence the loose song name theme.

duh, should mention this one too. it’s in the name! Still some tapes left.

7 Likes

@zaezur thanks man! I hope you’ll love the AR as much as I do…

@George_Michael your stuff is always great and really inspires me even though you have a very different sound than me. I love how well everything in your tracks matches together.

1 Like

This person’s work is, afik, AR only

@kindohm’s work is a ton of AR

The percussion on Sons Of is, I believe, mostly AR and ND3P.

5 Likes

As @xidnpnlss mentions, that VR Sunset release was nearly 100% Analog RYTM MK1, aside from two things:

1. sequencer: I use TidalCycles as my sequencer and use the RYTM only as a synth
  2. a single additive synth VST for stabs (Harmor)

Otherwise on that music, the RYTM is doing all of the pads/textures with a ton of sample mangling, and of course it’s doing all of the drums and percussion.

4 Likes

youtube of that Plaid / RYTM album/EP. (it’s also amazing btw)

5 Likes

I wasn’t aware you using / mangling samples. Can you speak a little bit more on that?

1 Like

I use synth lines from old recordings and import them onto the RYTM. I usually use the BT pad as my sample/texture pad and mute the synth.

My strategy is to pitch the sample down by at least -10, apply overdrive, and then find a sweet spot with the band pass filter. I like to put a slow saw LFO on the filter cutoff to give it a little movement. Lots of delay and reverb. I will also sometimes randomize the start/end times of the sample from TidalCycles, but lately I’ve felt too lazy to do that. Sometimes I might also play the samples with a melodic sequence. It’s hit and miss. A lot of times a given sample just doesn’t sound interesting, so I try another one.

All of the background textures on VR Sunset use these techniques in some way.

9 Likes

I should also add that I layer samples very liberally on top of drum sounds. All the time. Sometimes just a touch to give a drum a transient or a tonal quality. Sometimes heavily to create a wild sound.

Samples really are the secret sauce of the RYTM, in my opinion!

8 Likes

So true. Base-width filter and more flexible start/end/loop points are the big missing features (an extra LFO wouldn’t go amiss either). I’d be back on board the rytm train if that was introduced!

2 Likes

Another thing you can do is step lock the analogue drums so instead of using 3 tracks for kick snare and shaker you just use 1 with all triggers activated and then switch the sound for each trigger. This works great with the analogue drums and there are a lot of options in the sound pool. It also works great for percussion lines. You can have a rather full drum sound going with only 2 tracks being used. Frees up a lot of space for other things this way.

4 Likes

thanks so much my man! super appreciated and really enjoying your stuff as well. cheers!

1 Like