Analogue pocket

200…not bad for a nanoloop player

4 Likes

Interesting. I always read nanoloop couldn’t run on gameboy clones like the revo.

Not sure if this is that enticing at 199. You can pick up a nanoloop cartridge for about 50, or buy the standalone unit for under a 100.

1 Like

interesting… would be cool if it could run the nanoloop mono cart also although im not sure if fpga would allow for it or not. if it does then you can get some analog in your analogue pocket

I came very close to buying a Back lit game boy recently. An “official” one in good condition is easily over £100 so the (presumably) £200 asking price for this with that screen isn’t too bad to me. Could very well be an instant purchase when it goes live.

1 Like

Looks like really nice hardware! For actual gaming I can’t help thinking that a used PSP is a better prospect. If you jailbreak it you can play a much wider range of roms, up to PS1.

2 Likes

I can see both sides. The benefits of the AP is that it’s hardware driving the games rather than an emulator on the PSP. Having tried a few SNES options over the years that can make a noticeable difference when it comes to playing favourites. Super Mario World on a Pi (for example) never nailed it for me - I could spot problems everywhere! And with my other GB favs like Speedball 2 and Links Awakening, I will definitely pick up on issues in an emulator having played both to death!

1 Like

Maaaan this! PSP homebrew was so stellar, the emulation was top tier, I can’t imagine it being any different now, not having owned one in 5+ years. It was more valuable as a homebrew device than most of the actual games :crazy_face:

yeah, even if you DIY a backlit/prosounded gameboy and buy a nanoloop cart, you are well over £100.

This actually looks more like a variant of Nanoloop 2 - but even so, a second hand Gameboy advance and backlit screen is a hefty chunk of cash, and I bet the headphone out on this sounds a bit nicer…

1 Like

This hits me right in the nostalgia button. Price is fine, especially if the fit and finish is top notch. I bet you could get old gameboy cartridges on the cheap right now. Maybe I should stockpile a few and sell them next year and retire… for a month, haha.

side note: my mom still had my old game boy from when I was a kid up until a few years ago. I wish I had learned about LSDJ, etc. before telling her she could ship them to family overseas. Then again, maybe I helped another segment of the world discover portable gaming / music making…

1 Like

True, my favourite SNES game (Panel de Pon / Tetris Attack) was unplayable on the rpi due to input lag that I was never able to fix… less lag on Windows but still more than on original hardware. Purists will be happy about this new Pocket for sure.

3 Likes

You might be misunderstanding what this is. This is not a nanoloop device, this is a 100% accurate logic-level reproduction of the DMG/GBC/GBA hardware that also happens to have nanoloop built in. The value proposition is extremely good at $200. Adding to that is the fact that it will have other portable system cores including Game Gear and more. It plays all original cartridges from all Game Boy generations. It can’t be stressed enough that it is a 100% accurate reproduction of the circuitry in the original systems. The other systems designed by Kevin Horton (kevtris) for Analogue are exceptional and this will be no different.

7 Likes

It will run nanoloop mono, any actual Game Boy cartridge will run with no problems. The Super NT made by this same company runs the Super Game Boy 2 with nanoloop mono flawlessly, and even has lots of setting for the amplification levels and audio pass-through from the Super Game Boy so the audio from mono is passed through HDMI perfectly. It’s incredible!

For your viewing, my copy of nanoloop mono running on the Super Game Boy 2 on the Analogue Super NT!

4 Likes

I was approaching it purely as a “music making device”. If you’re in the market for a device that’ll play gb/gbc/gba games in high resolution that can additionally be used for nanoloop it could be good value.

If youre not too much of a purist, a psp emulates the classic nintendo handhelds just fine and additionally runs pspseq, picoloop and lgpt :smile:

Well yeah if you just need nanoloop then of course an original DMG with a nanoloop cart is going to be cheaper. This is not just a music making device though, it’s much much more than that. It’s not just good value, it’s incredible value. The emulation on PSP was ok years ago but it’s not great, especially GBA, so this thing is really a game-changer. Not trying to contradict you or anything, but I just want people reading this thread to understand what the device is.

2 Likes

I get that the tech is impressive, but what does this really do that a psp, ds, 3ds, mobile phone, etc wont do?

I cant think of many games with noticable performance problems with emulation on my psp. The psp also gives you access to the nes, snes, psp and ps1 libraries, + a huge library of homebrew games and applications.

A new 3ds emulates gba pretty much flawlessly and also supports a much larger software library than the analogue pocket.

These handhelds are pretty cheap, easy to mod and have plenty of replacement parts available. 199 isnt a lot of money for the technology, but its a hell of a lot for what that technology actually gets you.

1 Like

Well it sounds like this is about to devolve into a discussion of original hardware versus emulation, which is probably one of the most hashed-over topics on the internet. Maybe we should also discuss analogue synthesizers versus VSTs :joy:

Anyone interested in the Analogue Pocket can just go to the website and read about it I suppose. It’s a perfect reproduction of the original hardware, not emulation.

2 Likes

Oh that’s cool, I know there are various rare bugs on specific games (very rare) that they are still patching out in those devices… cool that nanoloop works properly though, figured if anything didn’t work it would be that.

Haha yeah I can see this appealing to certain people. It’s just not as much of a gamechanger for me as it may be for you :wink:

Can I split the signal to 1/4” cable or RCA at least ?

Fair enough. In response to your question “…what does this really do that a psp, ds, 3ds, mobile phone, etc wont do?” The answer is really simple; It runs its own custom version of nanoloop which is unavailable through any other outlet or device, it runs nanoloop one and nanoloop mono which do not work in any emulator, and it also runs nanoloop 2. So, since you’re approaching the device from a music making standpoint, the emulation solutions you mentioned are complete non-starters for anyone wanting to use any version of nanoloop.

1 Like