Analog Three (Any reason I shouldn't?)

Hoping to get some attention for a few seconds from the “What’s next for Elektron?” mayhem, to help me answer a quandary I’m facing.

I purchased an Analog Four MKI which has a faulty filter on Track 3, which causes the track to sound very thin and rather quiet in comparison to all other tracks. Because of this, the seller was willing to let go of the unit for an appropriately low price. My thinking was that I’d either get the unit fixed or simply enjoy a very rare Analog Three.

I’ve been in touch with Elektron support regarding the problem, and the only possible solution seems to be a new CPU PCB, which they can ship to me for roughly 230 Euros (excluding customs/VAT). The CPU PCB was replaced before on this particular unit, but the problem recurred with the new PCB as well. Since they won’t be doing the repair, they can’t guarantee it will fix the problem.

I’m wondering now whether I should shell out the money for the new PCB with the hope that it works, and I will then have a full Analog Four, or whether I should stick with my three-legged unicorn, if you will.

My question is, aside from the missing voice (and the need to navigate around it when planning voice-rotation/sharing for polyphonic patches), is there something I might not be thinking of which makes trying to fix the unit crucial in anyone’s view?

Any thoughts are appreciated! Thank you!

This is just a general statement made with no regard to the model in question but any time I look at a piece of gear which requires attention of some sort, I try to factor in the cost of repair and also the value of having a unit that has never had any issues. So, by appropriately low I’m assuming that you mean a very good price, add to that 230 + tax and VAT which may or may not fix the issue and you arrive at a price which is probably within 100 of a fully functional model if you’re patient and keep watching items for sale. For me, the extra 100 is worth not having to do any work (as simple as replacing a PCB is) and not having any question about what I’m getting.

Aside from that, if you’re happy with 3 voices on this particular synth then that’s a different story. If you can accept it for what it is and use it with it’s limitations then a good price is a good price. In my opinion, aside from matters of value, losing 1/4 of the sound density and 1/4 of the polyphony is a fairly significant loss, I’d have to want it pretty badly to jump at it with no guarantee of being able to fix it even at the quoted price for a replacement PCB.

Not so long ago I considered an OT mkI for 100 (I know, very well priced) which was in rough shape and needed an unknown amount of maintenance to unbrick the OS because when looking at the cost of replacing all knobs and buttoncaps (it was filthy), crossfader, and at a minimum CPU board and CF card, plus the work I’d be doing and the uncertainty of the operation (because there would be no way to test without doing all the repairs first), I simply decided that despite the opportunity to buy a husk and repair it piecemeal at what seemed like a good value, the end cost vs the actual cost of purchasing a working mkI octatrack, in that instance purchasing a fully functional mkI would be a better investment if I really want one because they were not so far off in end cost that I could convince myself that it was worth my time.

Someone might be able to give you better insight into what you lose along with that fourth voice, but as far as the cost to benefit ratio here unless you’re committed to a 3 voice synth, I’d say it’s too low to consider replacing the PCB unless it’s priced crazy low at 100 like the OT I was looking at. For me, there were more detractors and it sounds like this A4 is in otherwise good shape and functional, but I assume for that fact alone the cost is not 100 which is why I say the value of paying a little extra for something that never had an issue outweighs the benefit of the initial discount.

Just my opinion, certainly take as many opinions as you can on this, especially from A4 owners.

2 Likes

This kind of post-repair recurrence is usually an indication that whatever is causing the issue is not just the part being replaced, but something upstream of it that is causing the part to fail. (i.e. some bad circuit outside of the CPU PCB is causing that filter to slowly fry). So I’d consider it pretty likely that if you buy the new PCB from Elektron, it will soon just fail again.

For that reason, I would not advise spending roughly 40% of the synth’s used-market price to fix one voice that a) might not even be fixed by the repair, and b) even if it is fixed, will probably fail again.

Keep it as a 3-voice, or sell it onward and buy one with all 4 voices working.

1 Like

Thank you @shigginpit & @Mies_van_der_Robot! Both worthwhile points of view.

Mies, I’ve thought about that, and it’s the primary reason I’m hesitating. If it were guaranteed the new PCB would be the end of it, I’d almost certainly go for it.

shigginpit, I paid roughly the price of the PCB for the unit, so a little under half price of a fully functioning second hand one, I guess. I did know that the unit was otherwise in fantastic condition, but still, it’s not 100 bucks.

1 Like

That’s not bad, and I think if you already own it, see how it works as a 3 voice before you make any further purchases.

Also, I’d see if (just in case) the filter on the 4th voice can be controlled by midi to confirm that the problem is actually an internally crippling one of the voice itself and not just an issue with the physical control that you might be able to override by controlling it externally.

This is certainly a longshot, but worth trying I think.

1 Like

I had the same issue some time ago, have you try the calibration on power-up menu?

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve only been able to do the calibration after warm up from the menu and that hasn’t helped. I didn’t know there was a calibration available on power-up with the Func+power menu. I’ll give it a try!