Analog RYTM with decks!

Having a lot of fun incorporating the Rytm into my DJ sets at the moment, albeit at home (for now).
I’ll post the vids of my preparatory jamming in this thread.

5 Likes

Next jam.

1 Like

Cool man. I always see the Rytm as kind of a complicated deck, so it works really well in this situation. My favourite setup is a mixer and two drum/groove boxes, where you can mix from one track to the other. Once a DJ always a DJ I guess. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

haha yeah, that’s how I’ve always approached live sets too, using a couple of grooveboxes like ‘decks’. I actually think two Rytms would be extremely fun… Just need to remember where I left that spare grand :thinking:

Yes - expensive stuff, but then a new 1200 is almost as much these days, with CDJ’s even more pricier.
I used to have a Digitakt and play the Rytm against that, but they were quite similar in functionality, so sold the DT. I reckon a Jomox Alphabase would be a great companion to the Rytm - or better still if they made a new Machinedrum in Rytm form-factor :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yeah good points thanks! Not actually thought about Jomox, are they good for live? I’ve been running it alongside an octatrack (which I’ve used to death live for many years), but I find the Rytm much more fun to ‘play’ and just sounds ridiculously fat on a system. The Machinedrum, as much as I loved it, was too much work to get it sounding heavy enough. Great for IDM, but for my (admittedly simple) tastes, the Rytm gets me where I want to be soundwise much quicker… I guess the Analog4 is another option, but maybe that’s just making life unnecessarily difficult :laughing:

luv it mate

1 Like

The Jomox sounds great, but not sure it’s as easy to use live. A4 is great, but being only 4 tracks, it’s difficult to use it quickly as a groove box. I’ve got the A4 mk2 and I barely use it tbh. Octa is great, I got rid of mine years ago though as couldn’t get on with it. Also had an MD, but I found it hard to use/get good sounds out of it like you say. Perhaps a Tempest or Tanzbar 2 could be good - they just don’t have the same live functionality that the most recent Elektron boxes have though. I would love to see a new MD though!

1 Like

thanks!

Yeah, just checking the jomox now… sounds really great, doesn’t look particularly friendly tho. Will check out some more demos.
My Rytm basically replaced my Tempest which I ran into the ground. Encoders failing etc etc, was glad to see the back of it tbh.
Loved the sound of the original Tanzbar, but the sequencer confused me :smile:

1 Like

I heard the Tempest was/is problematic. I think the Jomox would be fine to work out - it’s like most small/medium sized manufacturers gear, a little quirky. The Rytm is difficult to learn if you haven’t used Elektron before I suppose. I heard DSI and/or Linn may be releasing a new machine too - that would be interesting, as they wouldn’t want another mess like Tempest, so reckon it would be a great machine :+1:t3:

1 Like