Analog Rytm Synth Sounds Only

I love my Rytm II as an analog and sample drummachine but recently discovered how lovely the synth engine can sound as well. So post your Rytm-synth-only tunes here. Would love to hear what y’all can get out of the synth engine of the Rytm. So to be clear: No drums, no samples, just synth sounds from the Rytm only. Cheers.

I’ll kick it off with a one minute short noise / ambient tune.

25 Likes

I only like one kick type to be honest, all other sounds are a bit standard

Ooh This is the thread i needed.

Im on the market for a new synth but Rytm keeps pulling me in. Im hesitant because I already have a lot of samplers which does drums very well. But the hands on performance controls and just the complete set of sounds people are getting out of Rytm is really impressive.

I have a question if you don’t mind me hi jacking the thread a bit…
Regarding the DVCO, on which tracks can you use it on? The manual doesn’t state this.

1 Like

You can use it on the bottom row only. BD, SD, RS, CP.
RS and CP are a choke group though.

2 Likes

to each it’s own, expensive kick mate :wink:
personally I love the synth engine, it’s unstably buzzing with life.

4 Likes

Indeed

I use the rytm with samples but to be honest i found digitakt sounding much better than rytm when using samples

I have a RYTM coming today for the sole purpose of using its synth/sampling with the unique performance control of its pads and sequencer. So this thread came at a good time.

BTW: Interesting track you shared.

1 Like

Great idea for a thread, I recently re-obtained a rytm after having one years ago before the DVCO update and still haven’t fully explored that machine. Plus I’m GASing hard for a new synth lately and this will provide some incentive to immerse myself in the tools I have instead of wanting new ones! Will see what I can come up with.

3 Likes

It is a good machine, sometime I found there are too many low frequencies - digitakt sounds more hi-fi and I found it sits better in the mix

Only on track 1-4 you can use the VCO but 3 and 4 share the same voice so they cut each other out

You better off using an octatrack for ambient stuff.

Limits can often be freeing. Still, RYTM seems a hugely capable machine. In music I make, I prefer rhythmic elements to be part of the entire piece, not necessary stand-alone drum parts. So the tonal range of the RYTM should fit well. But I’m looking at it as a more complete synth voice.

3 Likes

Thanks Randy! @carvingcode do share some synth noise from your newly obtained Rytm!

1 Like

That was exactly how I approached the synth side of the Rytm, thinking I needed more synths leaving this side of the Rytm untouched. Glad I dove in. It has its limitations but it has its own buzzy and lively sound and it is certainly a great addition to my other synths (ob6, arp odyssey, minitaur). To me once I record my drum/percussion parts from the Rytm in my laptop it frees up the voices on The Rytm and I load up a bunch of synths and go from there.

However, back to the thread, do share some synth only Rytm tunes when you have a chance, thanks!

1 Like

I would say that I am the polar opposite of ambient :smile:

1 Like

The synth engine sounds phenomenal IMO. The tracking across a range of pitches isn’t great though. If you move too far off center I find myself having to tune the notes by ear.

The combinations of of oscillators definitely gives you a huge range of meaty mono synth analog sounds though. Combined with plocking you get a very simple yet versatile synth.

I might do a 4 synth experiment soon if I can ever finish my work building the studio and home space. Could be a good late night (late is like 9-10pm when you have a toddler FYI lol) couch session with my toddler son maybe.

Also, sometimes I like to mix a single cycle on the sample part with the synth engine to give me an extra oscillator (though that doesn’t fit in this purist exploration thread).

6 Likes

Cool

Thanks for the thorough explanation I feel like the DVCO’s are rarely talked about in this fashion so it’s great to get an in-depth understanding of how they perform.

1 Like

Yeah, not a ton of talk about them. The algorithms are a little esoteric in that they are just numbered. You basically get two oscillators with a mix control.

The various algorithms just step through different types of mixing, ring mod, fm, maths, etc… so you do end up with a pretty broad range of oscillator sounds.

Combine that with the analog filter, very capable LFO, and resampling capabilities (Not sure on MKI) and you can get a ton of mileage out of it. As long as you don’t mind giving up your drum tracks for it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve spent a fair bit of time with DVCO, I’ve got some nice basses out of it, you can get good basses from the kick machines too I find.

What I tend to do is scroll thru the osc config till I find something I like, then do my filter and envelopes for the sound I want, then go back and scroll thru the osc config again, have found some nice stuff that way.

I’ve found modulating detune really fast with the LFO can help mask some of the pitch tracking issues, particularly with the ring mod and fm configs.

You can get some nice squlechy/acidy sounds with the filter env and a bit of res, pretty standard, but nice to plock env amount in scenes or hook to a perf pad.

4 Likes

Some synthy stuff. Just screwing around making noises.

It’s a single track of a single cycle waveform. You get some neat sounds using bit reduction on a SCW. I love the filter on the AR.

Oh I think I am also using an audio rate LFO on the delay to get a sort of screwy repeat, which can be cool sometimes.

Same story here basically.

11 Likes