Analog Rytm Scale Sheets!

Hey all - It occurred to me that I’d find this really useful and, since I couldn’t find such a thing elsewhere, I decided to take a stab at it myself. It can sometimes be hard for me to wrap my head around the Rytm’s chromatic mode, especially coming from a guitar or a keyboard. Hopefully this will make that transition a little more sensible for some.

One file is blank so you can fill in whatever scales you like. The other one has eight scales that I find useful. 6 modes along with both pentatonic scales. I’ve aligned the major-ish scales on the left and the minor-ish scales on the right. Why not 7 modes? Because I like symmetry :zonked:

If you want a hard copy, the image should be the right size to print out on a regular sheet of paper with no tweaking necessary.

I just made this and don’t have the Rytm in front of me to confirm I haven’t screwed up any scales. I double checked but there’s always a possibility I missed something. Please let me know if you come across an error and I will get it fixed up. Hope someone can find some use with this!

44 Likes

so how would i use this with the rytm like not sure what the boxes are ?

The black boxes are the notes of the scale, so you’d want to press those to play in that particular scale/mode.

3 Likes

oo right duh

1 Like

this is great! thanks a lot! :grin:

2 Likes

Glad to hear somebody’s finding this useful. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry for the rez - how exactly does this work for you if the scale you’re playing in doesn’t have C for a root note? You can’t use the note [NOT] setting to transpose the note since it’s overridden by chromatic mode.

Those are just modes - the root note can be whatever you like in practice - i.e. the sound could be an E in the root position, it’s just that the AR will internally reference the MIDI equivalent of that pad as a C - you just do your own transposing or stick to a simpler system of having a sound sample tuned to C where the AR expects a C - note that some synth engines use quarter tones steps so whilst adjusting those you may need 2 increments to get a semitone (24 for an octave)

The AR really needs a way for the user to half-dim the off scale notes (even on a temporary basis) - it’s a minefield when you shift that range in between the octave jumps so that you have two colours on screen (chromatic mode)

9 Likes

Right, that holds true for samples. I was thinking more along the lines of, say, DVCO, where I’m not using a sample. I get that these are just modes, but obviously the black/white pads won’t be correct anymore for which notes are in the scale once you’re looking at, say, F major instead of C major.

I’m not sure I understand - the scales/modes will still apply - it’s just that any historical connection to a piano keyboard layout will no longer hold or relate 1:! to the brightness/tone of those squares - maybe I don’t get the question though - I’m not sure samples at F or DVCO at F are different here

That’s what I call a useful intervention :slight_smile:
Hope you’re fine by your side @avantronica :tipping_hand_man:

1 Like

Let me try to rephrase. So it seems to me that the actual notes of the oscillators are as follows on the pads:

| G# | A  | A# | B  |
| E  | F  | F# | G  |
| C  | C# | D  | D# |

Which, if you follow the scale sheets above, works great for C Ionian. But if you’re looking for D Ionian, the black boxes aren’t correct for that scale, right?

2 Likes

Tune your DVCO or whatever to a D instead of a C, you can change the base tuning of the synths just like samples… Then your bottom left pad will be a D and the scale will be in D…

4 Likes

Am I misreading the manual? I thought that was ignored when programming in chromatic mode?

Not the note parameter on the trig page, the “tun” parameter on the synth page will set the base frequency for the oscillator…

3 Likes

Ohhhhhhhhh, I was confusing the two. Thanks for clarifying that, this is what I get for reading the manual at 4am…

2 Likes

I’m a little late but glad to hear you were able to get it sorted out, and really glad these are still being used two years after I made them :ecstatic:

2 Likes

should add a feautre to hold the chromatic button and highlight the notes to use in scale the blue light (or yellow, purple up and down octave) wouldnt mute or anything just turn the lights on/off to have an easy reference

Of course, dude! This was super helpful, even if it’s just as a reference for what I’m doing (putting black/white stickers on my pads instead), especially DVCO now.

Very useful, thanks @jurfin

1 Like