Analog Rytm Saturation/Distorion Help

Thanks! I really like the Rytm - OD 44 and the OD+Distortion
After that i like the way the snare comes out on the Heat - Classic Distortion and the High Gain.
I know the Heat is deep-box-of-destruction but can it do everything the Rytm can, or are the the distortion/overdrive circuits different?
I suppose i ask because the Rytm workflow seems really counter intuative, actually the worst i have ever seen. I’m only simple, so it could drive me up the wall… But it does sound great…

the workflow is a steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, i find it very intuitive. but, if you’re looking for an old school roland plug and play sort of simplicity, the rytm is not it. the complicated workflow is there because of the depth of the machine. if you’re not going to utilize that level of depth, then its not worth getting… but if you are, well, there’s nothing better.

3 Likes

“there’s nothing better” this is like music to my ears :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow that heat does sound great.
is it the dry signal trough the heat? of the signal + rytms overdrive/distortion and then through the heat?

@studface and do you have the heat MKI or MKII?

Dry signal directly to the Heat mkII

Pretty sure you can nail just about any kind of distortion flavour with a heat, just a matter of finding the right settings.

so what about u-he satin icm with soundtoys stuff, I bet you can get a lot of awesome stuff that way too

perhaps

I’m biased, much prefer analog saturation over emulations, but people seem to be able to coax great sounds out of software so YMMV

Hello again!

Having gone round in circles for what appears to be 2 years (jesus…) since i first started this topic (thanks again for all the great help and effort people went to) i have slowly come to the realisation that i like the sound of filters being over-driven more than out and out distortion. This is borne out in blind listening tests (i prefer the Rytm over the Heat) and also recently getting a Toraiz SP16 and driving that very average filter on the master out, it’s not great but in the ballpark.
So it appears i can’t get around the fact i should get a RYTM and accept i’m going to have to learn the (what appears to be a really counter-intuitive) Elektron way of working…
I thought there was a market place here where i might be able to find one for sale? I like the look of the MK1, unless it had some issues over time with failing button/pots?

Cheers, and sorry for the necropost, didn’t see the point in starting a new topic.

There is definitely a marketplace here on the forum. Maybe there’s a membership rank that you have to achieve to get in? Idk…

But MKIs are cheeeap these days. Probably even cheaper now with the new black mkiis.

I would totally use the class compliant abilities of the mkiis on my iPad if I had an mkii. The AR is such a good dirt box (only box with an analog compressor)