Analog Rytm Pitched Rolls

I was just recently watching the SOPHIE Arte Tracks interview and saw that she had an Analog Rytm MKI in her studio at 1:53

I then saw her HEAV3N SUSPENDED Livestream and loved the analog sounding drums throughout the stream which I am assuming a lot came from the Analog Rytm?

I especially loved the sounds at around 5:28 they sound a lot like the various snare machines from the Analog Rytm but the way they ascend and descend in pitch is something that’s a bit of a mystery to me how to accomplish, especially with the syncopated rhythm of them.

I would super appreciate it if anyone could give me some tips or pointers on how to accomplish these kind of pitched snare rolls on the Analog Rytm (I have the MKI specifically)!

I didn’t watch the video cause I’m “working” but I would use aftertouch mod with pitch as target, retrigger rate to taste, apply various amounts of pressure during your snare roll performance. You can resample the performance for sequencer playback if you desire.

If you want program something like this in; you can use parameter slides to sequence the pitch (not the note).

I’ve definitely tried the parameter slide but the one downside is it doesn’t seem like slides affect retrigs? Is there a way to slide retrigs at all?

Have you tried real-time recording pitch changes over previously recorded trigs?

I don’t think it’s possible to sequence in a different pitch per retrig hit, unless you have aftertouch affecting pitch, as mentioned by @Karl_Joseph above. Or you could assign a performance macro to affect the pitch.

I didn’t listen to the specific example but for programming it with retrigs, I’d use the velocity mod assigned to tune or pitch.

When you set the retrig, you can choose to have the velocity sweep up or down over your chosen amount of retrigs. So each hit of the retrig will have a lower or higher velocity than the previous one. If you have pitch as a velocity mod, then your pitch will do the same.

Another idea is to loop a sample and shorten or lengthen the loop over time. This should sound as if the roll is speeding up or slowing down over time.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for all your help!

All of these ideas are super helpful!

It’s nice to know that real-time record affects retrigs as well! I’m more of a step-record mode guy myself so I unfortunately always forget to think about real-time mode!

Also while working on this the one bit of functionality I really wish Elektron would add is the ability to slide the Retrig Rate. Or really just having slide apply to retrigs as an option overall! I know there are workarounds, but while working on this particular sound it felt like an especially glaring omission.

Anyway! Thanks for all the ideas! It’s really helped out a lot!

3 Likes