Analog RYTM Perf Mode is a bit odd IMO

I cannot quite understand why performance mode was not implemented using the encoders, even if implemented on the pads as well. Not being able to make gradual changes to the sound(s) without them reverting to type as soon as you release the pad feels very limiting. I appreciate you can use the scenes - but this is an instant jump from one set of parameters to another and not really the same thing.

I suppose, put simply, I’m saying I would love perf mode to be implemented in the encoders. At the moment I map the perf mode to a Launch Control XL via OB, but it’s a bit convoluted.

3 Likes

Though not what you’re asking for, there are numerous ‘workaround’ techniques to ‘lock’ the performance macro pressures by exiting (whilst holding) into another menu

Countless smart device midi apps can also serve up a few faders if you hook direct to the usb, forfeiting OB, or if your DIN ports are free, hook it up that way with an appropriate usb-din cable

2 Likes

Thank you! That is interesting - I will have a play around with the locking of the perf macros by exiting into other menus as you say. But still, it doesn’t really give me the close control over the performance I’d like. But that is absolutely my problem - for the moment at least, the machine is the way it is.

I do feel Elektron needlessly reinvented the wheel from the Analog Four performance mode, which is perfect, but so long as the majority of people are happy with them as they are, that’s good news.

Perf Mode locking is the way i always work btw :wink: Discovered this by accident as i got the Rytm back in 2014. Doesnt solve your problem though, for sure.

I have no issues with the pads; if you get used to it it works very well. The Sensitivity is actually quite good for this purpose but i dont like that you need to press them so hard - just to reach the maximum values. And they sometimes get stuck for no reason while using overbridge. thats annoying too.

in short: i would like the performance mode on the encoders as well.

2 Likes

I have the AR and A4.
Each one has it’s ups and downs.
With encoders you cant do quick stabbing modulations like you can with the pads, and you cant wiggle the modulation like you can with the pads.
I love the perf mode on the AR, it’s unique, I can see why having more precision would be nice and maybe even making the encoders part of the mode, however then you take away the dual mode functionality that already exists.
To me the Perf mode locking is a characteristic of the AR that makes it special, it could be exploited, similar to the filter on a 303.

1 Like

Encoders would make some perf settings easier to control for sure, sample start/ end being a major one for me. Affecting multiple pads at once is far easier than twisting a bunch of encoders imho.

You can also lock a pad without leaving the perf page by holding down the pad at desired pressure, then simultaneously hold the Retrig button and take your finger off the pad first then the Retrig.

1 Like

You could just hook up a midi controller with encoders sending ccs to the performance macros, its straightforward.