ANALOG RYTM MKII - How do your knobs feel?

Hey everybody,
finally got my AR MKII here and already had a few time to check this master of drum machine out.
Even if the pads are not as good as I was hoping to get for this money (used to older MPC) I think there have been a lot of improvements which makes this machine absolutely fantastic!

BUT. Honestly I think that the quality of mostly all of my knobs are way worse than of my MKI machine. They are so “smooth & easy to turn” (in a bad way) - the volume knob even can be moved up and down a little bit which sounds very weird in my ears…
I cannot believe that the guys of Elektron would produce an update of one of the best drum machines ever, but with a lower product quality of knobs for example???

Anyone of You guys have the same impressions, or should I send it back and order a new one?

The new workflow is incredible and I love it. Definitely want to plan with this love of gear in my setup for the next years.

2 Likes

Bit of a personal question there mate.

10 Likes

Darn it! You beat me to it!

3 Likes

On my MK1 the knobs move up and down a little bit, but it seems normal since they are also push encoders. Aren’t they standard D-shafts? You could always buy your own knobs. I just ordered these: https://www.modologic.com/product/elektron_knobset

I really wish they used metal posts instead of plastic, for example the ones on my OP-1 don’t budge at all after all these years.

3 Likes

OP-1?
…it is a masterpiece.

1 Like

What is really bugging me is that the tiny parameter movements are quite hard to do, for example tuning semitones.

When you first touch the knob and move it the machine seems to sort of wake up first for the first 1-2 millimeters of movement.
Then it shoots forward with two semitones at once.
Then, when you move back to correct, the machine overshoots the other way, arghhh…

If I might be missing something in the settings, please let me know :slight_smile:

Ableton’s Push 2 also had this in the beginning, Ableton managed to fix it though

2 Likes

Yes, its not easy dialing in an exact value because of what you just described.

1 Like

I have to bring this thread up again. I recently compared the knobs of an analog heat mk1 and an analog rytm mk2. The heat device has incredibly smooth, sturdy and precise knob movements while it’s quite difficult to dial in a precise value on the rytm. For example, changing the pitch +1 is not easy. It’s like there’s some kind of lag or delay. Also, the knob movement is almost slippery compared to the heat. Anybody else experience this difference? Any solution to this?

I could not agree more

Yep. Very difficult to make small adjustments, e.g. song mode pattern repeats, tuning. Digitone seems better in this regard, with knobs responding well to changes in turn speed.