Analog rytm mk2 pad issues

Elektron asks me to return my unit. They pay the return postage but they do not cover the costs for sending it in. I have to contact my dealer for that. Did the backup today and reminded myself to have in future a better naming and tracking of which samples are used in the different tracks in different projects :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Shoot, also just had my first day of pad problems. Same issues on mute mode where you hit one pad and for some of them nothing happens when hit/selected, or anther random pad or multiple pads become activated or deactivated instead. Same issue when trying to select TRK with the pads.
Have had the unit now since first release and first time this has happened. Double checked issue with newest OS update, but no fix. Yikes. Not good. Iā€™ve owned many Elektron machines for many years and this is the first time Iā€™ve ever had a software or hardware issue. Sounds like Iā€™m not alone this time with the RTYM mkii unfortunately.

1 Like

Heh, you shouldā€™ve gotten an Alpha Base.

Massage the pads. Not a joke. They are one piece and thatā€™s why this happens. Itā€™s happened to me with one pad and I fix it by pushing on that pad and massaging it in different directions. It still occurs but rarely and is an easy fix. It is not a software problem or anything. Itā€™s also happened on my MPC Renaissance when I had a certain set of thick pads on it. Itā€™s due to the rubber pad piece being squeezed between the metal front panel and the sensors.

Not necessarily the best way to resolve this particular issue. It is most likely a problem with the rubber pad piece being tight between the cover and the sensors. Massaging the problematic pad/s usually solves it. In getting a replacement unit there is a high probability of it happening again. It happens on MPCs also, due to the same setup with pads crammed in tightly. Itā€™s more of an overall design flaw, not specific to any unit. It may only happen on some units but is likely to happen on any of them.

I had this happen with two AR MkIIā€™s in a row and previously with a MkI. I tried massaging the pads on the MkI and the first MkII I got, but it didnā€™t help at all. If anything, the problem got worse after. My most recent unit was sent back for repair and according to the work order a new ā€˜pad filmā€™ was installed. That did the trick and it has not recurred since.

(I should point out that the MkI was also sent in for repair and came back working fine, too)

1 Like

thanks Eighty Six, much appreciated. I had seen that technique and did try it, but unfortunately it didnā€™t change anything. Iā€™ll for sure give it another few tries though and see. My retailer is also able to send it back to California for repair or exchange, though it will take some time to do so. Thanks for the reply

1 Like

Do you need some special oil when massaging the pads? :wink:

My AR MKII returned today, after three weeks, going to Thomann, from there to Elektron and the same route back. An argument to buy from Elektron is then that one deals with them directly, probably saving some time. This may be silly but it felt strange to send the machine off and getting it back after a couple of weeks, with zero information. In an Email from Thomann was a sentence suggesting that a FSR film is to be or was adjusted. I therefore assume it is a quality issue.

2 Likes

Same problem with mine, tried the massage technique and it works for the moment !

Aaaand another one. I just noticed three of my pads trigger adjacent ones in mute mode.Iā€™ve created a ticket for the issue.

Best,
Hans

Massaging the pads may resault in a happy ending.

While this may well be the case in other contexts, Iā€™d rather rely on the experienced hands of an Elektron technician to hopefully fix the issue for good.

On a bright side Elektron seem to have strengthened their support department, Iā€™ve been reading a few new names lately and despite my disappointment with the pad issue Iā€™d like to say Elektron support is still exceptionally good and customer focused.

4 Likes

Hi. I had the same problem. I did calibration and it helped. I hope for long. Best.

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I picked up another AR MKII last week after a hiatus. Due to past issues, I opted to spend the extra money and get a new one. I was dismayed to see that it was an older production run, with the red USB cable and OS 1.40C. After being on for about 8 hours, the Mute pad showed up, where one pad mutes other pads randomly. I shut it down and was ready to ship it back, but since I had to wait for a weekday to do so, I decided to test it again. As of tonight, itā€™s been on for over 48 hours and I can not reproduce the Mute pad error or any other. Should I assume that if it happened once, it will again, or take the risk that itā€™s okay and the one error was just an anomaly? I can easily exchange it or just return it for a refund if necessary. I donā€™t want to have the issue come up again a month from now when the return/exchange window has closed. It sounds as if most who had this error had a warranty repair, but I donā€™t want to have to deal with that if at all possible.

It took a while, but unfortunately the Mute pad error has shown up again. Iā€™m returning the AR MKII. So frustrating.

Hi,

When on Mute function, tracks 5 and 7 of my Rytm randomly trig tracks 9 and 11. The weird thing is the problem happens only on the Mute function, not when iā€™m freely playing the pads in the Play function, what makes me question if is this a hardware problemā€¦

Anything i could do about that or just be sorry ? :frowning:

https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/3X/1/1/11b5b2433232625e8df7f378cbc4604d797d3668.mp4

Well my topic was moved to this one, so now i see there are more people plagued by the same issueā€¦

In my case affected pads are only 5 and 7. I canā€™t send my Rytm to Elektron because i live in Brazil and i would have to pay a high custom tax when it come back. So it seems in my case iā€™ll have to live with that :confused:

Youā€™ve got a three year year warrantyā€¦ Iā€™d file a support ticket but see if you can postpone the repair to some future date and just get it done sometime before your warranties up. Itā€™s a costly unit, if I were you Iā€™d get it sorted one way or another eventually before the warranties upā€¦