Analog Rytm MK2 initial impressions

Not just that, I’d also have clear plans for tonight :smiley:

1 Like

I wish I had your optimism. The way Elektron are going, there’s a good chance the mk1 is already abandoned.

Oh no, looks like we are having some trouble with the pads… or is this a newbie misstake??

Not newbie troubles in the least. I have a similar problem, but not nearly as bad as your unit. I am having my machine replaced and I recommend you do the same.

:sob:

Just upgraded from ARmk1 to mk2 and can honestly say it’s a lot quicker to use and the layout seems so much better to me. The pads are great and knob resolution changes are very welcome. The screen is also a massive breath of fresh air - soooooo much better.

I have noticed that the sound is little dull though and I can’t figure out why. I’m routing it as per my mk1 and the setting are the same but there doesn’t appear to be the same level of higher frequencies coming through, more in the kHz spectrum - it doesn’t seem like an obvious settings issue, filters etc.

Has anyone else noticed a sound issue?

I’m inclined to agree with that statement, the bass seems fatter. High end is deffo duller, perhaps it’s something to do with the revised sound path. Odd. Having to boost it on my A&H ZED mixer to +6 on HF.

The new AR2 are running on 0S 1.32 or 1.41 so I’m inclined to think that the updated sound programs would be the differences between the two. As the internal parts are same the AR1 and AR2 with only external changes. They both have the same analog structure and circuits.

It’s sounding better but I shouldn’t need to coax the top end out - never been like that before on ARmk1. Will keep testing/playing around. Cheers

It’s 1.40B for the latest Mk2 OS. I thought ARmk2 has dual VCO’s? Is that not different to the mk1?

how is that possible? isnt it literally the same components?

really? can you link me to something stating this?

1 Like

Finally got my first Elektron product! Haven’t turn it on yet but it certainly feels different from some other devices and it’s lighter than I expected! So excited!! Now to get these small jobs done before having a play…

1 Like

Sorry, I thought this was the A4 thread (deleted my post) :slight_smile:

lol dude

1 Like

It’s here :slight_smile:

First impressions: I didn’t find much interesting in the pre-loaded patterns. I took the most gritty one (modorstep) and it took me only a few moments to steer it into the dark and harsh territories that I like. I love the interaction of pre-distortion reverb with the distortion. To get that kind of character out of my Machinedrum I had to add an Analog Heat and Eventide Space. Overdrive, distortion, filters and reverb sound good. Pads are great for jamming. Much impressed so far.

Comparing to my trusty MD I’m missing reverb gating (really love that on MD), the ability to route unused LFOs to another track, and the contrasty button labeling. I was working with dusk coming up and at some point I couldn’t read the labels anymore while the MD’s are still clearly visible. This would matter to live show artists.

Oh and all my buttons seem fine.

1 Like

Yeah, damn, 1 LFO per track is really not enough.
I have quite mixed feelings with my AR MKII. I could have realized this from the manual before buying but i feel that :

• there are not so many sound machines.
  • there are not so many factory samples.
  • 1 LFO per track…i wouldn’t mind having three or more.
  • not being able to filter only the sample part or the synth part of a sound, that’s super frustrating.
  • my unit froze after like 2 minutes of the first power up.
  • not being able to set the number of steps per page drives me crazy.
  • The unit itself sounds like a gigantic spring reverb. Pressing a button resonates so much on the faceplate.

First off, that setup looks crazy productive to me. Second, two avalons?! Third, what is your stand setup there? It looks really ergonomic/productive. Nice touch with the wood sides. Man. Seriously. Dope setup.

Some people just can’t have enough 303 in their 303.

1 Like

Thanks Boss. It’s parts from Gibraltar for the stand. Their standard 1.5" tubes, clamps and electronic mounts. Yeah I like the Avalons so much, that I’m freaked out of one of them breaking, so I got another one. One of them has an SEM cartridge in it, which provides a little more grit.