Analog Rytm MK2 initial impressions

I’ve never used the AR before, but the AR2 def has some hiss on some of the sounds/kits. I don’t know if that’s the fx that are adding/amplifying the hiss, or if it’s the samples themselves, or maybe even just the nature of analog drum synthesis - but it is there.

1 Like

All that said, I have no expectation of zero noise on an 8 channel mix of any analog devices! And besides, as long as it is playing something you can’t really tell :panda:

1 Like

i actually like the hiss of the mk1. gives character . No I am not joking

3 Likes

I do too. I especially like getting it to duck under the bass drum. I know people who literally recreate this in a daw with noise loops.

1 Like

I really haven’t noticed the noise in spite of having used my MK2 extensively the last couple of weeks.

@Meriphew download and use the Transfer app for transferring samples. It is pretty straightforward.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Hey thx! I already have the Transfer program - I downloaded it when I had my DT, but I kinda forgot all about it.

1 Like

Well, I also have an MD and an MM mk1. They have similar (though not the same) mechanical buttons and feel very solid, though without the spring sound present on the AR2. Tap the AR2 case anywhere (including the pads) and you hear that spring sound resonating. Not sure whether it’s the springs of the buttons we hear directly or a resonance in the body but to me it’s a design flaw.

1 Like

Why does that matter? Will you hear that “spring reverb” when making beats?
Turn up the volume then! :grinning:

1 Like

This thread has a lot of hits. Anyone reading this ought to know that the AR MK2 is unstable with the current firmware and/or the current production process so buying one now is a bit foolish. The machine is effectively still in the beta stage. Your Mileage Will Vary.

What? I haven’t had a single problem after I received a new unit made in 18.

2 Likes

No problems whatsoever here.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter much and doesn’t impede functionality but it’s a pity on such a premium machine. I’m an artist and I teach industrial design and architecture students. Details matter to me. I’m mentioning it so Elektron might take it into account in future designs.

1 Like

Sure, I know what you mean.

Also want to drop in to mention my rytm mkii has had zero issues thus far and i love the darn thing!!

3 Likes

Since I got my ARMK2 and have been reading the reports here I’ve been eyeing mine suspiciously, because there seem to be quite some units that have issues… …once again. However, I’m perfectly happy with my unit so far. I’ve come to realize, though, how much I’d have preferred it if they’d gone through the trouble of updating the UI to be consistent with DT/DN. The MK2s look quite dated compared to their younger siblings and I hope future “big boxes” will use the new UI.

4 Likes

I just powered up my AR2 for the third time since I bought it. It now freezes on the logo/OS screen everytime I try to boot it up. I’ve tried resetting it to Factory Reset, but it still won’t get past that screen. I’ve tried leaving it powered off for a couple minutes between rebooting. Also ran Test mode in it. If there isn’t a quick permanent fix, this is going back to Sweetwater for a refund.

such a bummer, can’t believe they released machines in this state of development.
I get it , not everyone has problems, but tons do.

1 Like

I can believe it I pickup my digitone tomorrow we shall see

Hardware fault. Probably loose connector or faulty PCB. The shop should replace it for a new one.