Analog Rytm MK2 initial impressions

I’m trying to stay away from computers, for multiple reasons.

Myeah, that works for one pattern/kit but what about pattern/kit changes? You’d have to prepare software settings changes mapped to some midi trigger from the AR etc. Gets complex quite quickly.

You also loose parameter lock integration.

Btw, one of the reasons for wanting to stay away from computers is a medical one.

Wouldn’t the additional LFO routings be possible through OS implementation?
I’d also really like to have those options.

BTW I finally got a new unit from Thomann the other day and it’s great to have it back! This unit is produced in 2018 and no problems so far.

UI-wise it 'd be possible: pressing the LFO button multiple times pages through the multiple LFO’s. No way for us to tell whether there are enough spare CPU cycles to add it though.

Even just making LFOs routable to other tracks (like on the MD) would already be a good improvement, and shouldn’t be technically complicated…

1 Like

I’m hoping that Elektron starts pumping out some new sound packs for the AR2.

Actually - after playing today - not being able to simply dial in tempo-synced Delay params - ouch. Surely a trivial feature.

Manual: “It is relative to the current BPM and is measured in 128th notes… a setting of 32 equals a one beat delay (four sixteenth notes). (1–128)” - ah c’mon - let me dial in “1/3, 1/4, 3/8 etc…”

1 Like

1/16 = 8
1/8 = 16
3/16 = 24
1/4 = 32
3/8 = 48

if I’m not wrong:
1/6 = 6
1/3 = 12

4 Likes

Yep - that’s what I have - I had just done it out on a piece of paper today. I’d prefer it in the machine than on the sticky note :slight_smile:

1 Like

after some practice the values will flowing in your blood … so to say. believe me :smiley:
just wish they would add some wobble / wow&flutter to it.

2 Likes

after some practice the values will flowing in your blood … so to say. believe me :smiley:
Indeed. Has been like that since the MD.

I dug a little deeper into the sequencer features now and I love the improvements over the MD there. Conditional trigs, micro-timing, re-trig: excellent. Haven’t even gotten to chains and scene/performance/song modes yet.

Question: When sampling was announced for the AR2 I was hoping it 'd be capable to do live sampling and playback in real-time like the MD-UW. I mean what you can do with the MD’s RAM machines. I don’t see mention of that in the manual. Is that correct?

That 'd be a pity. I love the MD RAM machines for glitchy messed up stuff.

My first go at a RYTM track:

One take recording. All sounds from AR2 synths, except for 1 (subtle) bass sound from Circuit Mono Station. AH and Eventide Space for a nice textural blanket on top of it all.

I love the character of the AR’s master distortion when blending tones. Taking elements in and out creates great sounding, dynamic effects.

I found it hard to judge the low end here. Too much sub bass perhaps?

8 Likes

Good experimental stuff dtr! I like the raw sound and IMO with a bit of production, mainly EQing it could sound really great. That’s mainly the HH coming in at 1:30 which I find a bit too sharp. I don’t have a sub so I can’t comment on that but on my Adam A7 the sub sounds good.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll let my ears rest for a bit and review the EQing :slight_smile:

one workaround is to use Max4Live LFOs to modulate any parameter on the RYTM exposed via Overbridge. As for the lack of engines, Elektron is going to keep adding more if history is an indicator. We know a dual oscillator synth is coming soon. Also make sure to learn the performance mode stuff, as it will give you tons of modulation options, its just you will have to do press the pads to achieve that

Whoa this sounds good. Demdike Stare vibes.

1 Like

I also love the distortion for the same reason. It’s a machine that really lends itself to making rich tuned bass sounds where the rythm is also the melodic element.

1 Like

I’ve found that I can do quite a lot of sound design with just a few engines. Using the various filter modes (+ filter envelope and resonance) to boost/subtract certain frequencies can really make new sounds. I do that mainly via the scenes mode but also with trig locks.

If the Rytm is a failure then I don’t now what is a successful drum machine other than the tired x0x. Maybe you can get 10% bigger sounds from a Vermona or Jomox but the former is not a drum machine (no sequencer) and the latter is a nightmare to use. I hear that the Tempest is far from perfect as well.

That is because it is solidly made and those are mechanical buttons that will last forever. I mean, this is not an acoustic instrument for playing solo in an otherwise silent environmnent, so I don’t see what the problem with the sound of the buttons is. Mechanical buttons are about durability and positive action: there is never any doubt about whether the button is pressed or not, which is not the case with other types.
Personally I love the sound of the buttons, it is the sound of real hardware!

I just posted this in another AR2 thread:

I finally got my AR2 yesterday. I’m happy to say that, so far, all of the buttons and pads are working perfectly, and the machine feels very solid.

Also, it sounds spectacular. I was a little bit worried when I returned my frozen Digitakt and opted to get an AR2 instead, because the DT (when it was working) sounded so damn good. The AR2 sounds ginormous, and you can feel it moving some serious air when going through a proper PA (which I fortunately have).

The only snag I’ve run into so far (which I’m sure is just a user error/not knowing the machine yet) is that I bought a handful of Elektron’s soundpacks, and I’m having a hard time figuring out how to get them all (including the samples) into my AR2 without losing all of the Factory kits/sounds.

Two big thumbs up so far.

1 Like

Are there any mk1 users that have upgraded to mk2 that can comment on noise floor and the compressor? It’s not that bad on a mk1 (really I only notice it when the sequencer is stopped!) but I turn down the volume of any track not used in a pattern to reduce the amount of noise being mixed to the main outs. I’ve also noticed that even mild filter resonance on the mk1 increases the noise on a track. Is there a noticable improvement to any this on the mk2?