Analog Rytm and Ableton - Unstoppable Force!

Amazing. Thanks for the feedback! Cheers!

J

1 Like

What is also extremely cool, is that you can insert lots of effects such as reverbs, delays etc to the Rytm channel and hear them on the fly without any latency

Wasnt really obvious to me as a DAWless user at first

2 Likes

I think of all the electronic gear out there, the ARmk2 might be the best single machine DAW companion out there.

It does all the things a daw lacks: analog drums/synths, great sequencer, analog distorion, drive, filters and compression, great controls. On the other hand: the things the AR lacks are things DAWs are good at: polyphony, having lots of tracks, stacking lots of fx, being able to sound clean.

And then the integration through OB for both audio and midi is just perfect, you don’t need an audio or midi interface. If I had to rebuild my setup from scratch I would get the AR and a midi keyboard first.

4 Likes

Come on… really? DAW’s don’t have a great sequencer?? :smile:
I understand your sentiment, but all these attributes are available in DAW’s, and while I’m tempted to say ‘available and better versions too’, that is subjective.

The Rytm is a fantastic machine, completely agree with that.
I’ve had mental issues with it only sampling in mono in the past, but I think that serves as part of its unique sound… it totally suits the mono samples. In the context of this thread (Ableton and Rytm), if you need stereo sampling, Ableton can do it… so it is a great combo/setup.

And with the combo side, I love making dedicated ‘Elektron Program Change’ tracks in Ableton, and using clips to automate pattern changes (across multiple Elektron devices too).

1 Like

Haha yeah agree, DAWs can basically do everything these days and nobody needs anything besides it to make professional music. My point is that out of all hardware out there most grooveboxes/samplers/synths are good at things DAWs also excel at. The AR has a very specific set of features and a lot of things it can’t do. With its specific skillset the AR and DAW really complement eachother instead of doing the same thing.

The AR lacks easy linear sequencing, but adds one of the best (and most tactile) stepsequencers out there to a DAW. The AR lacks the 100’s of fx any DAW can provide, but adds some great analog coloration options to a DAW, DAW’s can do endless polyphony, AR can do some dirty sounding mono stuff etc.

3 Likes

Totally Agree, match made in heaven tbh.

1 Like

I love the mono sampling, it gives that dirty sampling feel from old school when you sample a chord that already has delay and reverb into mono then pitch down, old style Akai business. Sounds great to me! you can then obv add stereo FX in Ableton to open the sound back out again and bingo. Plus mono sounds are so much easier to get a good mix when you’re really getting a polished track ready :wink:

3 Likes

The Dual VCO is a bloody beast too! I haven’t used my Bass Station 2 for ages ha ha!

3 Likes

It’s just a different kind of sequencer. I’ve never felt at home with a piano roll.

I definitely prefer elektron as a more creative sequencer that helps me come up with stuff I might not have otherwise.

My favorite is still a Tracker though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah it is.

I’m still playing with my Ableton / OB setup but I have all my rytm streams coming in as purely audio except track 3, that I dedicated to the dvco, that has a midi channel driving it.

This way I can play the dvco with my midi keyboard.

Sometimes I’ll sequence it on AR, sometimes I’ll record it in live. Depends on the vibe I need but having that option is great.

Honestly though, I’d really love legato on the dvco. I don’t think that’s really possible though.

Can someone share an Ableton template for this?