Analog Rhythm track mutes in performance mode

Hi all,

I have a question about the Rytm. Is there a way to mute/unmute tracks while in performance mode? On the A4, the first 6 trig buttons turn into mute/unmute buttons while in perf mode and it is so convenient to be able to turn knobs, play with the sounds, and mute/unmute tracks all from the same place.

Related to this: what happens on the Rytm when you press a pad in performance mode, then turn to the mute page before releasing it? Could you, for instance, press a pad in performance mode to filter sweep some part, then change to the mute page while still holding that page so the filter sweep continues while you get ready to unmute the kick?

No AFAIK. Possible with external midi.
Edit : You can use certain Perf to cut certain tracks with Level destination.

If you hold some pads in Perf mode, their Perf value is maintained if you switch to Mute mode. You have to go back to Perf mode and press corresponding pads.

Is that in the manual or is that a happy accident buggy thing?

I don’t know! I’m not sure if I experimented it before I read it here somewhere.

1 Like

You can “latch” performance pads any time you hold one down and go to a different page

2 Likes

Haha fair enough, I assumed you had committed all the manuals to memory!
I thought I’d read somewhere it wasn’t expected behaviour. Just curious…not enough to root through the manual though : )

1 Like

I didn’t read AR’s manual entirely, just parts I needed. It’s very similar to A4, and there are much less parameters.

I just tried this out - works perfectly! It is great to continue discovering new features!

1 Like

Another way to latch performance pads is by holding the pad then hold the retrig button, release the pad then the retrig in that order.

3 Likes

Cool, didn’t know that one!

I’d like a knob mode like on A4, and similar mutes with trigs.

Imho for the moment the best is still an external midi controller to latch / control Perf.

Thanks for all the replies! Another question: when you reload the kit, does this release all latched performance pads?

No. Even if you change pattern from what I tested.

mentioned this in rytm feature request thread but as retrig button is redundant in perf mode would be really useful if it toggled mute mode when held down for quick access. i appreciate pressing mute page then pressing perf to go back isn’t too strenuous, but a quick toggle in and out would really enhance how i approach the performance element machine.

2 Likes

Sign me up for that.

Retrig could work for this.

I LOVE how perf mode mutes are implemented on the A4: the first 4 sequencer trigs become mute/unmute buttons for the the 4 synth tracks (as long as grid record mode is off). With one hand, you can mute/unmute all tracks while the other hand does filter sweeps, delay feedback washes, etc - all from the same page!

This approach may be tougher on the Rytm; all the tracks would span sequencer trigs 1-12, so if you wanted to mute/unmute tracks 1+12 at once, you couldn’t do it with one hand. This could be solved like on the A4 (and the Rytm mute mode if I understand it correctly) by being able to pre-select the tracks you will mute/unmute while holding FUNC.