Analog Mk1 vs Digitakt - granular stuff with samples?

Hi all,

Totally new to Elektron. First post here. I’m looking at getting either an AR Mk1 or a Digitakt. Can get both for around the same price used where I am. I’m leaning towards the AR, but I’d really like to do some sample manipulation with whatever I end up getting. Setting start/stop points, looping a sample, and getting weird granular sounds and such is high on my list of priorities. I realize the Digitakt is designed specifically for this (amongst other things), but I’m wondering if the capabilities of the AR Mk1 are actually good enough in this department, particularly with the current firmware. Can anyone comment based on experience? Thanks!

I’d say go with your gut and get the Rytm if you don’t need sampling, IMHO it is better than the DT in every other aspect, plus the dual VCO synth and some of the other analog machines are great.

The AR cannot do granular like the DT. If you specifically want granular, go for the DT.

2 Likes

I guess DT LENgth vs AR END parameter makes all the the difference !

3 Likes

Yes. Wish they would make it the same for the AR. Or maybe not considering sample chains. Do people use chains on the DT?

Using the performance pads to change the start and end points can give some extremely fine resolution for granular looping. Its definitely one of my favorite parts about the Rytm

3 Likes

Yeah I wonder if it would be too much of an architecture change for the AR. AR does have some unique ness around having start/end vs start/loop/length on the DT. If start passes the end point then the sample will play in reverse I believe where start/length dont cross on DT and you are setting the playback mode for reverse loop. DT probably has a general advantage for sample mangling overall and makes sense for using an LFO to move grains about while also locking stuff like loop point and reverse gives some pretty nutty results.

I still sample my microgranny 2 all the time though, it samples splendidly in the DT for even further mangling. Not sure what it is about how it handles the grains I guess because the slice doesnt move until completed it has a very precise form of granular where digitakt is a bit more loose and free… I’m pretty sure with enough tweaking you could make DT act basically the same though.

Yeah maybe you can get even finer on the AR with an LFO? I should try it…

Ive never used a DT so can’t attest to comparisons of the 2. I just read what others have said about the DT doing granular.

Minus the Hi Hats (Open, Closed)

So easier with LENgth as on DT / OT.
I can’t be modulated by the lfo on AR. :meh:

On AR I also used Velocity Mod to modulate Start/End with 1 value offset. That way it can be modulated with a knob.

LENgth / END option is definitely an feature request in my concern.

And would allow Megabreak “granular” stuff!
Megabreak of Doom for Analog Rytm

External midi control of Perf maybe?
AFAIK No modulation of Start / End offset (pseudo LENgth) possible without midi processing brain storming. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

People absolutely do, our own Ivar uses them in every track.

So you should enjoy even more OT in that concern! :wink:

Nah. OT concerning Elektron, or real granular gear.

ofc but OT is the answer to everything. It’s more interesting to compare challengers :wink:

Ok well now we’ve gone outside the OPs original gear list I must say that if you’re serious about granular either yes modular or an iPad. Granular is great with a touch screen for control and lots of amazing options.

Of course not, but so many workarounds despite its limitations at first sight!

What about OT?

Limited! I think it’s easier on the DT if you want me to forget the OT for a few lines. I’m curious about the minimum LENgth possible with DT.
2 octave up counts too!
No, I can’t forget OT :
(64 samples LENgth max for, 1 octave up max :sketchy:, stereo :pl: )

1 Like

I do think digitakt just sounds a bit better doing mono synth type sounds than the OT, So if you wanted a track to act as a granular mono synth of sorts I think it would be the choice, OT would win out for doing granular processing of a full stereo loop or something along those lines. I think the loop point is another thing that is done a bit differently on the digitakt (can you modulate loop point on the octa?)

Probably! Filters can be better, octave range…
I’d love a DT/DN combo btw.

In Audio Editor only. A loop point per slice.
Possible to modulate with DT’s lfo / plocks ?

Anyway OT’s strength is realtime recording / mangling. I just recorded something, sound source is a mini jack I touched!

2 Likes

Top points for that one.