Analog Keys vs. A4 mk2 + midi keyboard

It would be lovely but I think the low sales of digitone keys disagree with our sentiments. I don’t fully understand why analog keys was discontinued instead of mk2’d but I can only imagine that elektron’s sales demographic is mostly musicians with tight desk space working with a mostly hardware/keyless workflow.

I think with the right package and product some of the market might be reclaimable from other manufacturers with more popular keyboard products, but the elektron workflow is known to the proponents of those companies products as “confusing” even though most of them have never really tried it to know…

I’d like an analog 6 or 8 myself, with the modulation stick like analog keys.

1 Like

update…after having sold that first AK way too quickly, I am receiving another one next week. Let’s hope this one stays.

Wanting to restructure my setup a little and make things more immediate with Overbridge. Looking for a DT to complement it in the sampler department (sold my OT mkI)

I have to say pretty much the only downside to AK is that it’s harder to transport and takes up slightly more space. It is a fantastic live tool, the keyboard makes it so much better IMO you can actually play things instead of running everything via sequence. As well, the performance macros and joystick are huge for having cool shit to do during a live set. Fortunately overbridge lets you program those without the need for using the crappy hardware interface.

I am not looking to transport it (although it comes with the official gig bag), so that luckily won’t be the issue.

I am looking to make it the one keybed in use in my “studio”, which is why I didn’t go with an A4.
In my mind AK & DT seems like a powerful, but not overwhelming setup.

Yes, Overbridge will be used for editing :wink:

Dude you got the gig bag? That bag is out of print and the AK is a non-standard keyboard size ( Thanks Elektron ). I’m super jealous. I do have a bag, but it’s a guitar bag and pretty much impossible to transport safely on my scooter.

yup…got the AK with gigbag for ~$630 / ¥89.000
too good to pass up on.

1 Like

That is a ridiculously good price.

1 Like

Seriously man, spend some time with it. I’ve owned 10s of thousands of dollars of gear in my studio, I sold it all and all I have now is an Octatrack ( Debateably interchangeable with Digitakt ) and an AK. Despite some shortcomings, it really is one of the most versatile synth engines out there. The sound is kind of plain, but the amount of tools and tracks you get makes it really versatile. And I’ve owned every single Elektron box.

1 Like

Thanks for the encouraging words. I’ll do my best!

Sounds like we are going to have a very similar setup.

Looking forward to discovering things. From the few jams I had with it, I remember making tracks on the AK only everything sounded like everything really gelled quite easily.

1 Like

Really explore the performance macros… Having 4 separate synth tracks ( And fx track ) simultaneously controlled with 1 knob x10 is something even $3000 synth’s can’t do. You can create extremely unique modulations.

1 Like

Will do. I have already watched so many tutorials and read so many threads. The possibilities are endless. Also wanting to use it as an FX processor for the incoming DT. I guess using different patterns and direct jump, one could set up “scenes” for live performance effects.

Are you using yours to process OT samples at all?

The way I use the OT is by using the computer; I’ll use a DAW to set up a basic skeleton for a track. So, I’ll create a small kit of custom loops and one shots with the OT in mind. That lets me use all sorts of plugins for processing, compression, etc. to create a solid foundation for a track.

I do this because first, the OT effects ( Like reverb ) are hot garbage, and second because I don’t really care to edit samples on an ancient LCD screen. Third, because the OT effect slots are limited so it’s best to use a DAW for boring utilitarian things like EQ and Saturation.

Then I’ll build some sequenced and live patterns around that. If you just had the same loops unchanged repeating over and over it’d be pretty boring, so I’ll use the elektron sequencer to work in some variations.

Cause I only have two hands, I sort of plan out what I’ll be doing each pattern. So maybe I’ll be playing on the keys with the joystick, or maybe I’ll be using the performance macros and crossfader.

For studio use on a purely DAW track, I just use Overbridge and sample in a bunch of playing or knob tweaks.

For routing the AK as a send effect using OT, it’s not something I usually do. Just because the OT has effects built-in, and it doesn’t support MIDI assignment to the crossfader. Prefer to “compartmentalize” each input device to reduce the complexity of programming patterns.

And because you can play with physical keys on the AK, it makes it really easy to play in patterns to the internal seq. Or something I like to do since I suck at playing, which is sequence SOME base notes into the core pattern so I can play overtop of it and have some kind of anchor point to keep it in time.

If I were really brave, I could try using the live recording as a MIDI loop to build up patterns a-la guitar looper but not something I’ve dared to do yet in a live club setting.

thanks for sharing…
damn, I can’t wait for that box to arrive.

and it is a design-classic

1 Like