Analog Keys Question/French 79 performance

On the analog keys it’s worth checking the LEDs above the keys (which shows which pitch is being played on a track). That’s the only thing not working on mine (which I’ve had for ages); one or two of the LED’s are dead (might be easy to fix, but to me it’s quite cosmetic so I haven’t even bothered investigating).
Just play each key on the keyboard and they should all light up. Otherwise I haven’t had any problems with pots or displays, but I haven’t toured with the thing or treated it badly.

Every time I turn it on and play it I’m surprised how good it sounds, which is weird because I had trouble getting it to sound “fat” or “warm” when I first got it. Now I have a couple of patches that are extremely bassy, fat, warm and analog sounding. Like always with Elektron gear they are journeys and take some investment.

1 Like

My keys is pretty old. The “function” text is worn off, and the screen will need replacing at some point.

Theres not really a lot to check on it, just the few pots and keys. AK runs digitally controlled so probably don’t have to worry about circuitry.

Last year I had an entire room of keyboards. Now I’ve sold them all and kept just my AK. Yep, it’s THAT good. As someone who performs with it, I just cant think of anything that does the amount of things it does. All in a compact & useful package.

• 4 tracks of internal synths
  • Entire suite of send effects
  • INSANELY powerful sequencer
  • Sounds per trig for multi-sound at the measly cost of a single voice
  • Kits per pattern for craploads of variety
  • Basically an Arturia KS Pro with Midi update
  • Internal arranger to make entire sets
  • Overbridge to use it as VST
  • Performace Macros are stupidly good live
  • Smol synth easy to transport to gig
  • Use it as midi controller + conveniant input for your controlled synth.
  • Keys + Record = Easy to improv/latch midi loops
  • Individual outs for external FX

I’ll take AK over a $10000 Moog one anyday

Downsides

• Tiny LCD screen is hot garbage
  • Everything’s behind menus
  • Setting up mods is very time consuming
  • MK1 Elektron Pots are low res dumpster trash
  • Reverb/Chorus quality not the greatest ( Compare to Virus TI which is similar in age & has fantastic reverb )
1 Like