Analog Keys CV problems - all keys send same pitch via V/Oct CV channel

I recently bought Make Noise 0-Coast desktop synth. It has CV inputs so I ordered the CV cable kit from Elektron in hopes of CV sequencing the 0-Coast with my Analog Keys.

However, I have run into problems. I wonder if anyone knows how to fix this situation or do I need to contact Elektron support about this.

Gate works fine, but no matter how I set up the PITCH V/Oct CV channel, all keys from the keyboard send the same pitch via CV to the 0-Coast. When changing the voltages for different notes in CV settings, the pitch changes and I can hear this change in the 0-Coast. But as soon as I start playing, all keys play the same pitch and thus I can only hear one note, no matter what key I press. It seems it behaves this way on all four CV channels.

Is there something obvious I am missing or do I need to contact Elektron support, is it possible my Analog Keys is faulty?

No

It will be trivial

What are the channels you are using

say A and B

do you have an insert cable for this pair, so the tip is separate from ring ?

what settings are you opting for
1 v/oct should suffice to get going

importantly - what is the SOURCE Track for your CV and what track are you playing

For now make both CV track - see CV settings and CV ‘Play’ pages (access settings with Fn)

Thank you for the reply. I managed to get it working - but I must say, I am not sure what was wrong. I didn’t change anything, I just reseated the cables and reset the devices and now it works.

Strange. But anyways, it works now and hopefully the problem won’t appear again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

now ive got this same problem…
trying to send pitch (v/oct) to modular osc
did it step by step as expl in this vid

all keys send the same pitch
uff :slight_smile:
anybody got a hint?

Try reseating the cables and resetting the device. Also try opening a new project in AK (it completely resets the CV track too) and see if that fixes the issue.

I had this problem but it went away after resetting the device few times and trying again. CV sequencing has worked fine since then with my 0-Coast.

1 Like

…do that if you don’t want to learn what you did wrong !

Y Cable isn’t
Y Cable is wrong way around
Source Track for Pitch is wrong (not the track you are playing)
Voltage of Pitch is effectively 0 V/Oct
Modulations are messing things up
Performances are messing things up
Bad Calibration of CV outlets
Wrong settings
Patched wrong externally
Something is broken

:white_check_mark: Share your settings (all of them) (and your approach) if you want to learn what you’ve done wrong

If you want to test your cable

Set both CVA/B to Value Lin
CVA Set an LFO (1 or 2 Hz) to SQR & modulate it to get 0>5v
CVB Wiggle the other Value Lin (0>5v) manually

If this does not sound like a random/varying pitch steady gated sequence then swap cables around, if still not that then the cable isn’t right

Or … If you have enough modulatable CV destinations (non gate) testing the cable with Value Lin is super easy to ensure the CVA and CVB are separate from one another

If this doesn’t work, there are a 100 similar replies on here already :thup:

1 Like

The thing is, I didn’t do anything wrong. I followed the instruction video and manual exactly (it’s not rocket science) but still it just didn’t work, all keys played the same note for no apparent reason.

I am fairly certain this is a bug in A4/AK OS and the way to fix it is to reset the device. I would be happy to be proven wrong of course.

I’m not starting a debate, just adding my perspective, stranger things have happened, but, given what I’ve witnessed on countless occasions I am very confident there is no bug and there is ample scope for user error

To me the bug theory is least likely explanation, no doubt glitches are possible, but they seem to only afflict those who don’t know how to work out what might have gone wrong !!

If your gate and pitch aren’t sourced from the same track you will get this issue exactly, especially if Pitch was sourced from one not playing (like FX possibly)

Anyway, let’s see if any of these suggestions are of use or whether there is another suggestion, but the questioner should keep the pattern/kit intact if possible to review it for these options

Also if the cables are the wrong way around and you play higher pitches, you’ll get the same outcome, valid gates but steady pitch

I’ll eat my hat if this isn’t user error :wink:

1 Like

I had the same issue with my moog minitaur. All AK settings were correct, but only one pitch. I learned to power up the keys first, connected to minitar, THEN power up the minitaur. Works great every time now.
Perhaps try that with the O coast?

1 Like