Analog Hiss

So, would somebody talk to me a little bit about the Analog Heat and hissing noise, please.

OT into A4 into AH. I find that i sometimes floor the hf eq…and actually i often dont think it matters as far as the end product, but I find the AH sure is noisy. Or…I might be doinf it all wrong, I find that I dont really understand noise and levels and all that very well. Im cranking the A4 into AH on max but Im not really getting a particularly hot level into the daw.

Interface is audient id22.

I dig the box, Im not complaining - a touch og Klevgrand Brusfri and its clean.

Best.

Then obviously - the manifold variables. The OT sample is noisy, but its not that. Theres OT internal noise (I suspect low), the A4 inputs, then the A4’s amp. I would say that A4 osc levels are conservative, both IN oscs and waveform oscs. But the A4 amps are up.

I’ve said this before but I find one of the key things for using the heat is to use the amp page. After you have a good input sensitivity set check your volume setting on the amp page. I will set my volume by using a full wet setting(no drive) and a/b against the bypassed signal until just about even. That makes a huge difference on how the heat behaves.

4 Likes

Great, thank you - this I will try!

1 Like

The high frequency EQ knob brings the noise up a considerable amount. I usually keep it closer to 12 o’clock and use the notch filter as a 3rd band of the EQ to dial in the perfect tone.

2 Likes

Gotta say I feel that its been very much me in the wrong: better input management, much less cranking of the AH, much better more reactive distortion, way less added noise. Now…should I record 8 tracks again…impatience and stupidity…

2 Likes