Analog Heat

no, its not just code and NO, hell - guys … :slight_smile: please, do some research on DSP programming in respect to sound creation! a specialized DSP offers command sets you cannot access on a classic CPU because it simply doesnt have them onboard !!! not everything is possible with SSE :wink: and thats the point. sure - theoretically - it is all code. but on a DSP specialized for creating particular types of sound you WILL hear the difference! take the BigSky from Strymon for example. Its Reverb Algorithms are also “just” digital, but they have a soul to them, a particular warm and rich sound you wont find in a vst plugin (which - btw - tends to sound cold and analytic - every vst plugin does!). and thats primarily done by the BigSkys DSP because it offers commands the guys at Strymon could use that you wont find on an Intel CPU. dont you get that?! :slight_smile:

yeeez - have you guys missed an era in synthesizers, drummachines, effects before the recent “everything analog” wave came back again ???:grin:

Ultimately you’re manipulating either integers or floating point numbers, regardless of what instructions you use to do it. You can achieve exactly the same results whether you use a DSP, GPU, or generic CPU, with the main difference just being performance. For example Eventide has released their Blackhole VST plugin which replicates the algorithms they’ve done on their Space pedal. If they wanted to, Strymon could definitely make VST plugins that would sound exactly like their pedals.

2 Likes

compare the Blackhole to the Space and repeat your statement :wink: there IS a reason why DSP based gear is still so expensive. Performance is not an issue anymore - these days. I read an article about exactly this and why DSP generated algorithms sound different to CPU generated ones. If i come across it i will paste a link.

in the meantime - back to topic i guess; otherwise we argue forever …

It’s 2016, I thought we were done with the “plugins sound cold” nonsense…

5 Likes

As someone who does DSP programming for both embedded systems and computers, I’d love to see anything that presents evidence of any magic in DSP processors…

15 Likes

maybe the converters are doing that final magic

dsps can be more efficient in processing audio, because of the use of buffers and such, but i bet if you calculate a sound or an effect, you can do anything on a x86 cpu as well. they might not be as efficient, but they throw just raw numbers at it. and if youre looking for a nice sounding parametric reverb, just go to exponential audio or ircam if you want.

dsps were better back in the days when uad startet their dsp business by relabeling old gpu chips from graphic cards, but that was a long time ago.

2 Likes

Give us the JUICE Dataline!

8 analog disto (stereo…) ! if they are realy good disto it,s a dream ! need to play, ear them and find there sweets spot…
+
filter multimode
+
lfo
+
env
+
eq
+
sound card

does not seem that expensive compared to boutique guitar disto like wampler etc

2 Likes

Do you work in marketing? seems like

No M/S ? :cry:

1 Like

love the way this starts of all vaguely technical & then starts talking about ‘soul’… :wink: you guys kill me :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wish Overbridge was on iOS then the Analog Heat would be very interesting for the WaveGenerator, WaveMapper and Phonem apps from PPG. Since i sold the Waldorf microwaves i am hooked on the PPG apps :smile_cat:

Now i use the Sound Devices USBPre 2 on the iPad, totally another class of AD/DA conversion. But anyway i try to find a reason to buy a Analog Heat :heat:

3 Likes

M/S is supported when using Overbridge but not when using the analog inputs.

/Olle

4 Likes

What is ms?

I guess it’s Mid/Side Processing ?

I was thinking it was ‘Mono to Stereo’. Not being able to process mono signals without a computer would be a real shame… Please clarify/correct me if I’m incorrect. This far, Ive been interested in using this on mostly mono signals…

i imagine like all the other elektron machines, the ability to pan a mono to the center won’t be an issue. M/S is definitely mid side processing

2 Likes

I’m interested. But why not throw in compressor / limiter (which they already have in another box) and bump up the price a little. I’d be very interested in that.

1 Like

Like the Ableton ms eq8, i think…
what to so with this? I only use it to take vocals out of a song.