Analog Heat

I usually dig the Headless Horseman, but I don’t understand what is appealing about the Elektron filters at high resonance making random chirpy sounds. I watched the demo over and over again, trying to figure out what I’m missing. Are the drums being processed by the AH? I think some filters sound good when doing that type of thing, but I’ve always disliked the A4 trying to make SFX type sounds because of the quality of the filter or the resolution of the LFOs… I’m still not sure. But the AH has that same “too clean” sound. A Moog sounds much better when pushed to do crazy modulated resonant sounds.

3 Likes

sure, but thats bad - somehow. it would make more sense that Elektron creates something really useful so that its worth the money and you are willing to spend it without question :slight_smile: great innovations - like they did in the past with the silver boxes :wink:

does anybody know who makes decisions in the product development these days? this person should be layed off asap!! :laughing:

I usually find out how powerful it is one year after buying

Next to this, i think its not really nice to ask for someone to get rid of

1 Like

Im glad Electron are going unusual ways and dont try to please anyone. their product designer should be praised for making such timeless designs.

4 Likes

I got one AR + one AK, pretty happy with them. Never had those silver boxes, just black ones; I don’t think that allows me to ask people to reconsider their opinions. This is a forum and because its own nature, people advice, consider, talks, shares, etc. Anyway I see you have withdrawn your post. Cheers

i said it before already: it may be that the Analog Heat has something under the hood that makes it stand apart again - but that is yet to be discovered. maybe. but i wont risk 800 € just to notice that there really isnt more about the machine than the stats are telling us. in product presentation a company usually shows the best their product is capable of - to attract buyers. if what we heard from the AH is already the best - its definitely not enough for 800 €. even a fanboy MUST see that ^^

in the past they build machines that were great - unusual in their own way - but highly usable with a lot of flexibility (the silver boxes). thats how elektron grew up and thats what they should stick to. the analog heat doesnt look like a machine that was very well thought out. it doesnt have the elektron sequencer, it doesnt have multiple inputs and several machines on several tracks at once. its basically a distortion unit with several different “types” of distortion plus EQ and Filter. i could get this on a Pedalboard for half the price if i want. Sure, that wouldnt be analog, but who cares about analog anyway?? we are spewed with analog gear all over the place in the last couple years. so i guess that the only reason Elektron creates this new device is the fact that analog works at the moment - and that they just want to jump on this bandwagon because it promises sales.

call me an idiot but i think that elektron moves away from their initial philosophy of creating highly flexible, usable and versatile machines in favor for a more mass market oriented strategy. but if they really wanna hit the mass market they should overthink their price tag.

3 Likes

What i like about Elektron is the all-in-one stand alone instrument (machine) concept. With Analog Heat we have a unit for a specific task. Elektron is great in concepts but to specialize in a separate sound processing unit it first need to prove itself.

When listening separately to Overdrive, Filters, Distortion and the Compressor in the A4/AR then it’s clear to me the Analog Heat is not something i am looking for, they are good for the whole machine concept. In comparison to the Analog Heat i would go for a Elysia 500 system. Ok more expensive, but i would rather pay more for a specialized sound processing unit like that. Because there so much more focus on discrete components.

But i have to say if Elektron made the Analog Heat as part of a Octatrack 2 or a Overbridge stand alone mixer concept i would go for that, even if it’s more expensive!

1 Like

the likelihood of that is obviously zero … yet, ironically, there’s evidently some likelihood that you’ll type your way towards a timeout with more mean-spirited banter :wink: … joking aside, so it’s not for you, … I think it’s a safe bet many others will buy it, so really no need to be quite the buzzkill with the vibe… either that or you need to lay off your joke writer :zonked:

maybe you’ll warm to it, I have a lot, didn’t even know I wanted something like it until recently - but it’s big bucks for sure, even if it proves to be good value

I find it a bit amusing that on a forum frequented by audiophiles of such high caliber that they can supposedly tell the difference between properly gain staged audio that has or has not been through the OT’s A/D D/A, that no one bothers pointing out that with exception of perhaps the web based simulator, all audio examples we have heard so far of the AH have been processed through Soundcloud’s and Youtube’s ruthless compression algorithms. Anyways, back to the show… :alien: :popcorn:

5 Likes

I don’t understand how people feel they aren’t able to judge the sound of a synth, or effect through a demo on YouTube or SoundCloud, yet they can decide if they like a song. All my impressions of synths from YouTube and SoundCloud have matched up with my impressions after actually playing with them. Every single time; I can’t think of a single time when there was an incongruity between the two.

5 Likes

I have no horse in this race (lofi lover) but it’s obviously apples and oranges getting a feel for a sound/track/synth on youtube vs wanting your music to be recorded at the highest possible quality.

1 Like

Try it before you buy it! Or via internet; tested it, handled it, recorded something with it & have a feel for how it behaves & performs. And if you don’t like it just return it :wink:

right. And the web based simulator sounds good enough to listening and testing more that new AH

good point. I can hardly tell a VA from an analog synth on some videos. Soundcloud is not so bad though

Why the video “Headless Horseman @ Elektron Studios” is now private?

PTFM :smile_cat:

2 Likes

I know there is not much info but I am interested in the idea of using Heat and Overbridge to route DAW audio through my OT, do we think this might be possible?

This would be the only reason I’d be interested in the Heat, would be to use it as a VST in my DAW.

So I was gonna say…

• Really glad there not using all endless encoders this time…

if you want something digital and flexible, just use a laptop with plugins. this will always be cheaper and more flexible than a dedicated hardware. the only point for me to spent money on big unflexible boxes is because they use analog circuits that sound better than my digital plugins. I dont know yet if the AH can beat soundtoys decapitator, but if it can, Ill welcome it. Price is not expensive if you compare it to a mf-101, which has no midi or usb and is just mono. but the mf-101 sounds great, thats why people still buy it after nearly 20 years. so I wont complain about missing features or a high pricepoint of the AH, I will only complain if it sounds bad, or at least not significantly better than a digital plugin.

3 Likes