Analog Heat

Sounds good, but for me somewhat redundant as Niio already does all that except for LFOs & Overbridge…

I hope, the filter is much better as the one in the AR and A4. But well see (hear).

I was just looking at the specs: 55 Ohm Output impedance for the earphones. Isnt that quite high? So you better bring your 600 Ohm earphones and leave the 70 Ohm ones (eg Sennheisers HD-25) at home.

111 dB s/n is not that bad (hope the dynamic isnt worse), they are not marketing it as an outboard for mastering, but it might be also be able tu subtly warm up complete mixes, or am I wrong? The online demo cant emulate this.

but that costs twice as much and is not built anymore, isnt it?

If there were more demos with a single sound put though the Saturation/Distortion of the AH and then mixed with the
rest, it would be much easier to see if helpful in the mix or not. Honestly, how many put the complete drums or even mix though a distortion if it cannot be dialed in very subtle? Even for overhead mics that doesn’t make sense except one or twice every few years.

The double bass exmple was nice at one or two low disorted settings settings, but even then i have to set the mix to about 70:30 to get a useful result.

So - for me - it is all about: how do the different distortion settings behave when fed with what kind of material at what level?

Since i never had been into this super hardcore sound, i need subtlties from a saturation / distortion and good sonics,
for example to give me really crisp disorted pad or to beef up horns just a bid etc. If everything i put though sounds like “AAAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHGRRRGRHRGRHRHH” , then it is rather useles for me.

But i have to admit, i am not a too big fan of plain “let’s distort the xxx out of this or that”

1 Like

I think it’s too expensive for what it is, at least based on what we know. I just want to say that and get it off my chest. I like everything else about it and have a need for something like this, but the price is too prohibitive for me to justify right now for what it offers.

But…I feel like this has been the case with every Elektron device since I started paying attention (around the OT release). And within a couple of years, it seems that Elektron does a fantastic job of advancing their machines while recognizing the needs of the market so that they become essential tools. So, while it’s a bit premature, it might be fun to speculate on what Elektron could possibly do with the Heat over some time. The first thing that came to my mind was to maybe implement some digital effects like delay or reverb. Maybe that is not realistic at all given the architecture, but I’d be much more inclined if it had some of the reverb mojo from the A4.

1 Like

Thinking of how this would fit workflow wise. Cenk mentioned that it would be cool to have a mixer concept ala Roland mix 1 but not so cheesy. If the next box is like a stand alone Overbridge mixer i am also in for the Analog Heat :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the fact it has balanced inputs.

3 Likes

yeah, I was wondering about that too… not available anymore, although the price was 800 Euro. the big version is double the price.

Since the viral picture was so different, maybe there’s a nother product like such a mixer in the pipe?
People have been asking for such a thing in better-than-MX-1 quality for years. So it would be nice if
Cenk or Elektron picked up those requests…

Still seems limited to distorting ‘one external box at a time’ though, which is a shame. If they were going to go the mixer route it maybe would have made sense to have less distortion types and made it at least 4 x stereo in/out connections/channels and have one available on each channel simultaneously. 8 x distortion types is great but it makes it a total luxury item. A couple of killer distortion options available on lots of channels would have made more sense to me. Even if it upped the price to like £850. No need for constant re-patching etc then and could really tweak things in a mix across different boxes simultaneously and experiment with different contrasts etc.

1 Like

Theyll do something like an Analog Space next year, that will bring analog modulation, analog delay (oil can!) and a real plate and spring reverb :slight_smile: Ill guess

2 Likes

The more I think about it the more interested I am becoming. Would love to hear filter / lfo / eq demos and see how the patching / presets work.

Also, Elektron, we were passive while we waited after the teaser video, but now that you’ve given us the reveal: I challenge you to no more than one week until Cenk gives us a demo video of the new device. I’m a simple monkey and I want to see what it can do.

1 Like

Yeah, cos the world really needs more reverb/delay options :wink: If people can’t make decent sounding stuff with the reverbs/distortion/delays out there already I’m not sure Elektron are going to be able to help :wink:

I’d much prefer Elektron to focus on the things that arent so massively abundant already…That always seemed like their strength to me and what made them so interesting amongst all the other companies out there.

The AH looks nice, but mostly in a convenience sense for me, pretty sure I can already get those sounds with what I have but not in one small stereo box (outside of plugins). If I had the money I’d grab one for sure but I think I’m going to run the dry audio from the interactive demo through some of the options I already have and see if I can’t get the same/better already. Hopefully I can get these Saturation/distortion flavours already and just cope with a less convenient workflow until I have a spare £670…

1 Like

Also if i go for the Analog Heat i would do a side by side test with the Sherman Dual Filterbank 2. Because i guess the filters on the AH are the same from the A4/AR.

2 Likes

Would be cool if it did multiband distortion :level_slider::thermometer:

3 Likes

@cuckoomusic, and you all guys, were did you spot this envelope follower ?
I haven’t found it in the demo…

This is the most important post to date.

2 Likes

I wonder if they will do a cheaper version without Overbridge for the hardware only guys?

Yesterday after messing around with the interactive demo I tried setting up parallel processing using my QuPac to send a mix buss into my modular for distortion and filtering, lots of fun to be had, so I think the Heat certainly will find its niche.

I also think that the most useful stuff will be found when not having everything clipped to hell, subtle harmonic shifts and emphasising elements at points in a track are some immediate uses that spring to mind, I think the automation aspects are what set it apart from most regular distortion units. For example a random synced LFO from the A4 controlling the character type with a subtle dry/wet balance could be great.

I hope that some new demos will show off the subtler and more creative side, would be good to hear it on vocals, pads, entire mixes, acoustic instruments and oddball stuff like pan drums, also using fast CV lfo’s to do bitcrusher and audio rate modulation.

Bring the :heat:

1 Like

True its not built anymore, probably not so common, and their newer Iotine Core over double the price…
But just couldn’t help but notice the tight similarities.

Gotta say having an envelope follower/VCA on saturated signals while leaving the dry, or else controlling both, does some awesome stuff to percussion. Be interested to see how the Heat goes with this.

1 Like