ANALOG HEAT vs SHERMAN FILTERBANK V2

Better for live than the Sherman IMO because of presets. Not sure if I would dare play out with a Sherman.

2 Likes

yeah although looks like the sherman is more hands on, no menus etc.
I personally donā€™t need the AH or sherman in the studio, Iā€™m considering them for live performances only.

• Any similar unit that is more suitable for live?
  • To me loks like AH is more end of the chain , before the PA rather than send effect. What you guys think?
    Thanks

Sherman could be really a killer live machine when you know perfectly how to use it, even if you donā€™t have any presets, menus etcā€¦

Itā€™s a real instrument and interesting to explore and I like use it.
Btw both are really awesome and the choice and it was really hard for to make a choice :smile_cat:

The Sherman is too finicky and unpredictable to use live.

2 Likes

the sherman has to be end of the chain of is suitable for send/return in live ?

I send signal of my rytm into the Sherman to my mixer.
Or I just output the kick into Sherman.

1 Like

It is yes particularly when you use harmonics but itā€™s really easy to adapt a live set with it you just need to know what knobs to turn and be very careful when you use them.

Btw I think sherman is more adapted depending what kind of music you wanna do (like techno or hard music) because it can sounds really really agressive but I really love how sounds the AH and it looks definitely more easier to use and understand than the FB.

:smile_cat:

1 Like

Just got a second hand Sherman FB2 and at least when you use it from mixer as send effect, itā€™s really great to use it that way!

mostly ambient + some techno stuff. You guys can suggest any other distortion style stuff and some filter that could be cheaper than the 2 above?

Maybe some guitar/bass stompboxes? I know the moog minifoogers get lots of love for synths also. But thereā€™s endless choice in that worldā€¦

2 Likes

I heard about the waldorf 2 pole as a filter (but donā€™t really how good it is)

For some distortion pedals look at this long list of pedals :

http://www.acidvoice.com/tb_303_best_distortion_pedal.htm

thanks for the suggestions guys

Hello, I made a quick video comparison test between Analog Heat and Sherman :
I hope it will be usefull :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It is proper analogue. The main reason DCOs are used over VCOs is tuning and stability. In a mono synth itā€™s easy to tune the single VCO by ear using a tune knob but in a poly synth this becomes a massive ball ache to do by hand. Be thankful for the DCO. It revolutionised synthesis and made all our lives much simpler.

However for signal processors like the ones being discussed here, I guess there is some merit behind a ā€œproperā€ analogue signal flow and design. Having said that, analogue filters, much like analogue oscillators, need to be tuned and calibrated once in a while.

On Elektron gear this is a one button press.

4 Likes

I hate to say this, but part of the reason I cancelled my AH preorder is because I was noticing how I prefer the saturation found on other pieces; Elysia Karacter in particular. This video really helped me better understand what characteristics I prefer. I definitely preferred how the Sherman sounds in this comparison vid. The AH has a breaking point when it gets pushed that Iā€™m not too fond of. I like how the Sherman and Elysia Karacter sound when they are pushed better. They both lack all the neat modulation/preset capabilities of the AH, but the pure quality of the saturation is most important to me.

2 Likes

I had a Sherman FB, thought it was just ok mainly because it had a limited ā€œusefulā€ range for me, very good for absolutely destroying, tearing, industrial sounds and weirdo turn a drumloop into a bassline business, but as others have said, very easy to go from something cool to ear bleeding harshness.

My heat arrived today, at first did not sound good then realised that the input by default was set on high, causing clipping on the input, so I set it to medium and things improved, I did not have enough time to really get a feel for it, as only had about 30 mins, hoping to get a chance to fully try in the week.

4 Likes

I came to this thread to ask about :https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/iotine-core-3-sound-processor.html

And found its already been discussed - i saw it on hi hats (video below) - daaam that was good. I wonder if the Analog Heat can process 2x Mono ? I.e. with differnt settings ?

No.

1 Like

I found this:

3 Likes

Filterbank sounds killer.

Edit - Has filterbank price gone up recently? Nearly Ā£600 atm. Sure I saw it for approx Ā£450 last time I checked?