Analog Heat vs Analog Drive. Main difference

Huh! I didn’t know about that! I hadn’t even thought of running a guitar or bass through the Heat. The notion of a guitar/bass running through a distortion LFO seems exciting! I also suppose I could use the LFO as a tremolo!

Man. I want that heat so bad! I might have to run to the music store again tomorrow and play with it a bit more :hearts:

1 Like

Yeah, you could even combine the lfo and the env follower for dynamic, level-dependent tremolo :diddly: Aand you could use volume or filtering for your tremolo effect.

1 Like

Round Fuzz + bass guitar + crazy modulations = :purple_heart:

2 Likes

As a bassist myself, I’d love to hear your explorations in this regard. I’m way in love with the Darkglass stuff (especially the Alpha Omega).

Dang that looks and sounds wicked, never heard of Darkglass before. I’m definitely not a skilled player but i’ll post some experiments soon!

Sounds great! No worries regarding skill level, I’ve just been wondering what the round fuzz specifically sounded like with bass guitar.

Here’s a short demo, starting with no drive and dry signal. Slowly introducing wet mix and drive, then engaging filter around 40 seconds. Using an expression pedal to control the LFO speed with the multiplier at 2K for some crazy FM stuff!

4 Likes

Wow. That sounds huge! I really like the LFO stuff. Just for clarification, what is the LFO destination? Thanks for the demo :wink:

I love the way it acts as a pitch shifter and spaces out the sound real nicely. I had the lfo set to drive and filter dirt, with small values under 10 to keep the signal from dipping too much. The mode was set to trig with the envelope follower with a bit of fade in, with the envelope set to slightly boost the wet level and high eq.

Anybody have experience using both the Heat and Drive. I play guitar and a bit of bass. I would prefer the Heat since its stereo and would work with my samplers and synths, but it only really makes sense for me if it could pull double duty to work with my guitar and bass. Is the Drive notably better for guitar? I know people said the input gain should be enough to allow an instrument level signal to be used, but how are people finding it in the real world? Does it work well? Is it noisy?

Also, does anyone have any info about the various analog distortion circuits on the Heat? Watching some videos about the Drive, it seems like some of those are aiming to sound like a TubeScreamer and Klon.

For what purpose ?
I have AH and AD. Sound different, AD is noisier, but with much more gain, more appropriate for guitare level, but I liked AH with guitar too.
For dirty hardcore drums I prefered AD.
AD after AH was better that the opposite for me, for post filter distortion.
I may buy a 2nd AD for stereo.

After AD, I sold Mxr Fullbore Metal, Fulltone Ultimate Octave, Boss Ds1 Japan.
I keep my Nitrogen21 french germanium fuzz and T-Rex Gull Wah.

For AH you have to consider filter, really precise envelope follower/trigger with many destinations, lfo, exp pedal inputs, full midi control (except trigger! :angry:) dry/wet…
It can be a good wah, autowah, tremolo, slight phaser, self oscillator for kicks, other synths sounds…

7 Likes

Goofy question and sorry if better in another thread.

Is the AH distortion circuits the same as in the analog drive ?

good question - No, they share three of the same distortion types (Clean Boost, Mid Drive, and High Gain) but each has five distortion types that the other one doesn’t have. So you really need both :slight_smile:

AD:
Clean Boost
Mid Drive
Dirty Drive
Big Dist
Focused Dist
Harmonic Fuzz
High Gain
Thick Gain

AH:
Clean Boost
Saturation
Enhancement
Mid Drive
Rough Crunch
Classic Dist
Round Fuzz
High Gain

1 Like

Thanks, really appreciated . I have a AD that I use on my hardware techno rig but I’ve been thinking about an AH as a analog master box for my ITB work. I’ve used the AD for experimenting with this but wasn’t overly impressed with the results as a mix warming box for want of a better term. It works a treat on smashing up drums of course.

Might work for you or it might not… I don’t use it for master bus duties, but then I don’t use anything on the master

It’s a cool box, the envelope follower, expression pedal inputs, and LFO take it to a different level. It’s a typical Elektron device, meaning it’s a never-ending rabbit hole of possibilities, and to me, it’s a no-brainer for the experimental type. sezare56 still has his, that says a lot to me.

If anything happened to mine, I’d immediately replace it. But of course, that’s no guarantee that it’ll do what you want.

See if you can find a shop that will allow a return within 30 days if it doesn’t work for you, and then try it in your space and see what you think…

1 Like