Analog Heat : The warmest (?)

Hmm, I just started experimenting with recording to Ableton with my Heat and noticed a lot of clicks / pops. I’m disappointed. Have you figured out any way to mitigate the pops?

Mine heats up, but has never caused issues…
Latency & glitching during your show - That sounds like an OB issue / some sort of software issue. I run the AH 5 plus hours at a time & never had it weird out on me, but I don’t use OB. It def get hots tho.

7 hrs in a small theatre. :man_shrugging:t2:

Yeah I can see heat causing an issue running over 7 hours… you mentioned you had to put a ice pack on it in the middle of the show… maybe 3.5 hours in it started glitching?
You mentioned using Ableton, so just thinking OB or Ableton COULD be a factor.

I sometimes leave my equip turned on and leave, so it stays on for 24+ hours and no flaws at all. cannot say anything about OB or audio interface use as I only use the AH as AUX or insert EFX.

Yeah, go to the overbridge control panel in windows and set Driver Performance mode to Rapid in stead of highest speed.
This solved the issue for me.

That’s an asio driver issue. Have had that in the past with other audio interfaces as well. It’s not a big issue since it works fine at that setting :slight_smile:

No ice needed :wink:

4 Likes

3 Likes

Neat

3 Likes

They don’t call it heat for nuthin.

1 Like

Beware ! Burning synths and vinyls…

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try. I thought the few clicks I was experiencing were annoying. I recorded some stuff yesterday and when I played them back (using heat as an interface) - HOLY CRAP, it was a jumbled mess of noise and popping, etc. Fortunately, the recordings were OK, it had something to do with the playback. At any rate, I’m one step closer. There are a few quirks to iron out, but I think I’m on the right track to being able to use Heat to record and not just jam. It sounds soo good, I can’t give up this early!

I had my entire studio in a loft above a fireplace… I wasn’t too stoked about it but it was the only good spot, had fans blowing down from it…

Anyway OT and AR were up there and the AR would get hot… Never glitched…

Analog Heat is an analog product and therefore gets warm, I get it. Last night I plugged in Heat after it being out of action for a few months. It got extremely hot in a way it hasn’t before. I pulled all of the cables out of it and flipped it over to cool down. It was really, really hot. Today I plugged it in again. It seemed reasonably warm for a while then inexplicably got incredibly hot. I had to turn it off.

My Heat gets very hot sometimes too. Not every time, and the hottest periods don’t necessarily occur when the device is being heavily used, so I’m not sure what the cause of it is. It freaked me out at first but I’m not too concerned about it now. I read in the manual that the device should be turned on for a couple of hours before recalibrating it, to give it time to heat up, so I guess it should be getting at least a little warm.

Anything warmer than a moist airline towelette would worry me

It does heat up when I use it as a send/return aux …have not used it with OB or as a sound card. Any solution working for u ?

I’ve owned mine for a few years with everyday use and it’s never let me down. Just be sure to give the vents lots of space and keep out of direct sunlight.

1 Like

appreciate…will get a “ventilated” stand …cheers

Like did they put resistors or something in it to make it heat up superficially to add some kind of psycho acoustic boost, or does it really heat up naturally and it can’t be avoided?

especially in a case it can get really hot - mine was so hot that I was not able to touch it - try to avoid this.

normally it gets “handwarm”

also AR and A4 are getting warm but not like the AH