Analog Heat - the first of several boxes?

Analog Deep

1 Like

AH is just a distortion/filter box tho right? Luxury/convenience thing that most people can already achieve same results with their existing gear or plugins? Not really comparable to previous Elektron boxes? I’d be surprised if AH signalled the end of anything else…

I think its weird people seem to be veering toward encouraging Elektron to do more boxes like the AH. So many other options exist already for most of this stuff. Elektron doing more of them will just mean Elektron having less time to make the unique kind of boxes they have in the past or develop updates/features for their existing boxes. It will also make them way less likely to include ‘the best possible’ digital modelled effects or analog distortions etc in sequencer boxes cos they’re just going to want everyone to collect all their fx boxes on top. Seems like potentially a turning point in their direction has crept up. Not sure but AH and Overbridge just seem like bad omens for those of us that hoped they’d continue down the OT/A4 kind of road but with even deeper/better quality/more functions onboard etc.

But God knows really… Maybe they have some killer boxes in the works for 2017. Guess we’ll see…

5 Likes

I was talking about similar gear like the A4/AR/OT … not stuff like the AH (which is great)! The analog-hype will be over in time … digital will be the next thing in terms of sequencer-boxes like the MM but more sophisticated with newer synthesis-machines like the ones on Mutable Instruments Clouds, Rings, Warps and Elements or like something as 4MS did with their Spectral Multiband Resonator. I guess this kind of soundgeneration in one box instead of a eurorack-module 400 bucks+/per module in combination with a sequencer would be madness!

Take a look into the eurorack-world - there is a shift towards digital-synthesis, not pure analog anymore … there is the rabbit

implementing usefull parameters for musical results and not the tabula rasa: a new box is born :sunglasses:

4 Likes

It’s true there are tons of options for effects from other manufacturers. There are tons of options for everything at this point. I’m not one to chase technology, so it ultimately doesn’t matter to me if Elektron makes any more purely effect boxes; my guess is some people are intrigued by the possibility of effects done the Elektron way is all. I’m sure that they have some larger, more complex machines to come.

1 Like

If there’s more similar boxes planned by Elektron then I wonder if each will all have a souncard inside?

Seems crazy to have to pay for a soundcard to be part of these boxes if you want to “collect them all” in a pokemon marketing stylee.

I’d love to see an Op-1 sized long battery portable box from electron. They could charge at least eur1000 for it.
…with a 6 track stereo tape function that has proper looper functionality and the equivalent of 2 OT audio machines, 2 OT midi tracks, 2 virtual A4 machines, 2 MNM tracks, 4 virtual RYTM tracks and a decent set of effects available on each, and on master.
audio io, fxloop, 2x usb midi (also as host), 3.5mm midi, ble midi, cv IO and digital out. Up to 64gb sd card to slot in and out and
Don’t care if it is virtual analog so long as it is tiny, portable and instant on.

Surely that’s not too much to ask?:money_mouth:

2 Likes

I want a magical unicorn that when I feed and pet it, it makes the best music ever…

1 Like

Oh, I had one of those, but I gave it away. To some lad called Jack, in exchange for a handful of magic beans, as I recall.

1 Like

Sounds like you need to buy an ipad and a few choice apps :wink:

On paper I thought exactly the same thing before I grabbed an op-1. Was one of the things that made me hold off. But workflow on op-1 is on another planet compared to fumbling around inside ios + audiobus/iaa + interface etc. I can only cope with ios in small doses. OT/OP fodder normally…
Really hoping Elektron or Teenage Engineering bring out a pumped up expansion on the OP-1 idea. Although the new Deluge looks like it might be somewhere in that area…

Hi Callofthevoid, you right on some points I think and I agree for most of it, because when we buy a 1500 bucks drum machine, we probably buy it for this Elektron politics to enhance in time and adding some drum models, different kind of enhancement. And I hope these not ceased ! As some other folks told this last couple of month overbridge will eat some of this. Finally it revealed not really because we had enhancements like lately… overbridge will always comes with hardware updates I guess. If this effect box coming with overbridge and going in this way I guess Elektron Team will going to enhanced all such things hands on hands. BUT, clearly MachineDrum and MonoMachine seems gone (for futur enhancements) : my questioning going for the Octatrack as it’s not in the Overbridge equation. Therefore it’s somehow the Head in all exclusive hardware based Live electron boxes so… I really hope something happen in the OT territory. (just to reassure people like me who invest their balls in Elektron devices)

i think outside of bug fixes OT will not receive any new features, its been mentioned lots that the processors are being fully maxed

The absolute end game is if you follow Elektron down the OB line, for whatever reason, they develop their own DAW. But as you can imagine, this DAW would actually be a hardware box. And maybe it’s not even a fully fledged thing, but a faithful interpretation of a multi-tracker at some level that would integrate everything OB thus far. That’s where Push is headed, but it’s like Ableton are doing it in reverse. I guess this is what the mixer box is that many people speak of and want, but in an OB era this is what it ultimately means. You won’t get an OB OT2 without some incredibly powerful software to go with it.

2 Likes

I hope they do release a few of these boxes and sell lots, then if more success comes - then in theory - they can expand their team.

A lot of people seem to be angry that overbridge and this new box are taking up elektrons “resources”, but in the bigger picture the success of diversifying their portfolio will in theory give them more “resources” to make better stuff and provide better support/updates.

2 Likes

Yeah, I hope they make more of these kinds of boxes.
I may never buy one, but I like seeing them, I’d love to try them, etc.

I also hope they make some kind of box that is clearly an evolution of the OT without it being an OTmk2.
Some kind of mixer thing with a sequencer whatever could be that I guess.

I hope they develop the software further too, even though I dont really use it much.

I like Elektron, I hope they keep making cool stuff.

2 Likes

I can say that i am not really interested in an AH and i would rather pay a bit more and get an analog four used etc

but i can kinda predict that sometime in the near or distant future i will walk into a store and there will be an open box or some sort of special offer and i will probably just buy it on impulse :sweat:

1 Like

Here’s the question: does Elektron release function specific boxes like the Heat with a succession of similar purpose driven devices, or do they adapt the Heat into being a catch-all device with some DSP to be a killer FX thing for both hardware and software? I see some real backlash if Elektron makes a point of pushing multiple FX/auxiliary devices for over $500/ea.

1 Like

Analog storm
Analog freeze
Analog bolt
Analog bomb
Analog hipster
Analog boom
Analog smog

1 Like

I hope it’s only one device.