Analog Heat Presets, how do they work?

Hi,

as far as I understood everything that is dialled in gets stored in a preset the moment one saves it. Including all trimpots on the front panel of the machine, right?

This includes: Drive, Wet Level, Frequency, Resonance, EQ Low, High.

My questions: is the master volume stored in the preset? And most importantly, are the characters, 1 of the 8, stored as well? If in my preset the filter is off, will it stays off? And the contrary too?

pretty sure the master doesn’t get saved. the 1-8 characteristics definitely get saved. and i’m not sure about the filter/ reso , i’d have to be in front of my machine but i don’t think they get saved

Everything gets saved, including filter on/off, type, wet dry level, modulation routings, everything. Can’t remember if master volume gets saved as well and not at home so can’t check - everything else does though.

It’s awesome, get it if you can.

There is a Master volume, controlled by the Volume knob, and a preset volume.
This one is saved in the preset.
So you can switch from one preset to the other and avoid volume drops :slight_smile:

Iirc you can use the LFO to change preset.

thank you!

so there is a preset volume and a master volume as well? Interesting, how do they interact with each other? Say, on a live environment, I’m playing with the AH outside a preset, and afterward I enter a preset, which volume will be retained?

Generally speaking, obviously more distortion, different parameters, filtering, etc. will create a different amount of harmonics and a different output in volume of course, how does the machine react to it? Is there some sort of limiter / compressor that, as much as possible, level the output?

See, I’m thinking of buying one, but I’m not really used to play with presets, and I’m a bit afraid of dramatic drops or on the contrary unwanted heavy boosts in output. Switching thought parameter is just like tweaking all knobs at the same time, and this can get pretty messy… how is this controlled in the AH

Although presets are a really interesting idea.

PS: I mostly intend to use it in a live environment and only for the drum section of it, and as of now we always had gear which holds no presets… gear to be used with (perhaps it helps to understand better) 808, Acidlab Drumatix, Boss dr 220A&E. For distorion so far we used: Boss bx 8 or Boss KM 6, WMD Acoustic Trauma with Tech 21 sansamp para driver pedal, Metasonix F-1 pedal.

I’m toying with the idea to switch all these pedals and mixers menagerie with the AH…

AND: I have a MINIMAL use of filtering, not really interested in cut offs, as well as EF and LFO… main interest, the 8 characters, drive, EQ…

Preset volume makes it possible to adjust each preset in order to get similar volume level.
Master volume would be used to adjust Heat output level to other instruments.
But with Wet level and Dry/Wet level you already have direct control on output level in case things get crazy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not interested in cutoffs? There’s a lot of ways to use the onboard filters on the heat, like hipassing your wet signal in order to only saturate high freqs, or using a resonant hipass for low end control in poor sounding rooms/PAs… Don’t think of the heat’s filter as a moog lpf or a wah pedal, it’s way more versatile than that.

2 Likes