Analog Heat or not

Would the analog heat be suitable for dynamics control at the end of a signal chain in a live setup? E.g limiter/compressor/eq?

I would say it works. It is a bit harder to dial in the compression, but you could make some presets for songs in advance. Its no problem to get a bit of pumping if you want that. And it will increase the precieved loudness if you want that.

It’s more about controlling being shit at getting levels right :slight_smile: I’m thinking about how to get a live rig together, and variability of venues PAs etc

Not shure how that would work. But i’ll see if i can try something like that.

I looove it both in the studio and for live gigs.

In studio i run groups through (usually the saturation circuit). It gives it a nice flavour and boost in my opinion. no noise problems here. And for live it’s all about getting to know the machine. You can use “drive” for dynamics when you swich between verse and chorus. Same with cutoff, take off some top in the verse and let it all through i the chorus where the magic happens. Ok i also play crybaby-indie-electro, for that it works haha.

And of course crank it to the mid-drive or something in a jamming outro. Mostly in to the saturation circuit though.

Aaaand also running the bass throgh left and the beat/synth through right channel, so the sound girl/guy have the possibility to lo-cut ect. That’s very important for my setup at least so it doesn’t get too muddy.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s what Cenk does. I watched a video (an older one for overbridge maybe?) where he gives a rundown of using heat for various applications. One of his presets is for 2-bus dynamics processing for his live sets. The plug-in settings were shown on screen long enough for me to copy it. I dialed that up on my heat and it really is a solid starting point for end-of-the-line warming/drive. I think I saved it as “Cenk’s Glue” I can dig up the screen capture that I took and send it to you, if you need it.

6 Likes

Ah, interesting, that sounds perfect. I’ll dig around his videos, thanks! A pic of the patch would be excellent!

Yes, please post said pic!

Might as well post it up for all to see.

14 Likes

Update: I decided to return the Analog Heat and try the Strymon Deco instead.

Like mentioned above the Heat was really a overload for me. I always had the urge to turn the knobs and change the sound more than i was actually making music with the OP-Z. First that wasn‘t what i wanted to achive and second it‘s just too expensive for the use I had in mind for it.

I‘m happy to try out the Deco and share my thoughts. It arrived today and i‘m looking forward to check ist out.

Def RTFM. There is a lot going on under the hood there.

1 Like

I ended up getting a mk1 from reverb after watching the vent video. I think it’ll do the trick nicely

1 Like

I don’t think it does any dynamics but if you use the dynamics engine on your device and use the heat to process the master bus then the soft knee or hard knee sound much better.

Sorry for revisiting an old post but really enjoyed what you wrote on this . What’s your chain from vinyl to AH out of interest , on the main out of a mixer into the sampler ?

Hey, i think you meant to reply to sharris?

So sorry, treble face palm … lol. Thanks! :grinning:

1 Like

Just got my heat. It’s pretty bloody good. Will try this patch later, but I’m already pretty bloody happy with the results. It’s magic.

1 Like

It flattens it in what way? What may be the cause of that?

I have the AH going from the group outs of my mixer into the sampler. That way I can sample anything that’s plugged into my mixer thru it.

I love what the AH does to digital synths as well, I’ve been using it a lot with the Op-1 & Blofeld lately.

When I use it on vinyl I normally use it really subtly… just to warm the sound up a little plus the eq & filters are great.

I still love this thing & I still don’t plan on ever selling it :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks for replying Sharris, especially after I fluffed my reply:rofl:

I’m looking to get one to use the same way . I use my dj mixer as a hub for sounds coming from decks, tracktor, ableton and some hardware routes in via a small Mackie . An AH on the final mixout would be a lovely option to tweak

1 Like