Analog Heat or not

you can do both, for a single take on a bassline or anything else from gentle to extreme…

but be aware of the settings because it can be quite noisy depending on the circuit you are using

i usually use it on the sum for this extra ‘something’ and a little bit more 3D (don’t know how to describe it)

in other words you cannot fail by using it

1 Like

Why exactly? Do you see the Analog Heat mainly as a companion for other Elektron Boxes?

You said you had a small, mobile rig. Seems an effects pedal of some sort may pair better.

Yes, you right - but i have absolutly no experience with effects pedals and know some of the Elektron Boxes and think they’re great so it seemed like a good.

Can you recommend effect pedals for my use case? Just boost and optimize the whole final track?

Take a look at the Strymon Deco.

2 Likes

I’ll do that! Thx!

Naturally the short answer is always “Yes Analog Heat!” However, you did mention that you wanted a minimal / mobile setup. The Heat is pretty compact, but it does require plugging in, and is a bit heavy. Still very backpack friendly though. Of course, most FX pedals will also require some kind of power, but are smaller. In addition to the Strymon Deco, there’s also the EHX Platform which is a stereo compressor pedal. Oh yeah, and the OTO BOUM, which is simliar to the Analog Heat, but also requires wall power. There are threads about all of those on this forum, with a lot of good discussion.

This reminds me, I should do some jams with OP-Z running straight into Heat, I think it would sound great. good luck in your search.

1 Like

Yeah, agreed. My recent setup is DT->AR->AH (for live HPF filter and a bit of EQ to match the room).

You definitely should…sounds not only great, but massive!

1 Like

Well, that’s what i was hoping to hear :grinning:

I love using the Analog Heat at the end of the chain. Everything from subtle “warming” and compression, to extreme distortion is possible. And the EQ is lovely. The EQ can sound lovely even when over doing it. Highly recommended!

Point is…if you buy the AH just for the Op-Z it might be a little bit of overkill for only brushing up the sound - you should check upfront which of your other devices might benefit from it.

As it was already mentioned by others you can go from subtle to complete distortion. The latter you will most likely not do at the end of the chain…well except you really like that kind of thing :smile:

I agree with @cold_fashioned, it is not a very mobile solution - the deco might be for that purpose indeed a better option.

What I never tried is to sequence the AH from the Op-Z, that might actually get pretty funky.

Good call - Actually, I haven’t tried sequencing the AH at all. I can imagine some wild stuff could come out of that.

One of the things on my list too!

My Analog Heat arrives today with 30 days return option so i‘m happy to get into it. l’m very curious to try it out. I‘ve watched a ton of videos but it‘s still a little bit of a mystery box for me regarding the options and possibilities you get from it.

1 Like

Enjoy the dirty ride :smile: …it‘s a keeper. Make sure to check all parameter settings and env/lfo options.

Thx for all of your advice and possible alternatives. They for sure look promising too and I’ll check them out if the Analog Heat feels not right for my setup.

Had fun with the Analog Heat for 2 hours yesterday. Have to spend a lot more to really make use of the box and understand now what you meant with „overload for my setup“. :grin:

What i noticed is that the audiolevel coming out of the Heat with „On“ turned off is much lower than the signal directly from the op-z (headphones plugged into the op-z for comparison). Even when the input sensibility is set to high or max on the Heat.

This seems a little strange to me and makes comparison with Heat vs without Heat hard.

The Signalflow is:

OP-Z —> Heat (Stereo in) —> Heat (Stereo out) —> Zoom H4N Pro —> Monitor Mode to Headphones.

First i thought maybe it´s Zoom Monitoring Mode but even when i plug the headphones directly to the stereo out of the Heat i experience this.

Any idea if this is normal behaviour and the Heat is lowering the signal to boost it with the own effects afterwards?

There are several places you can adjust the volume. Wet level and a patch volume in the Amp menu. I have never had any problem adjusting the output of the heat to match the input volume. I usually do this every time so it is easier to compare the dry signal to the wet signal.

The Heat is awesome to use with overbridge. Either with the standalone software, or as an vst. The visuals really helps when using the envelope as a compressor.

2 Likes

yeah - I was also going to say start with wet level and wet/dry mix. If you change circuits (mid drive to rough crunch, for example), you may need to re-adjust your levels as they all behave a little differently from each other. Enhancement and Rough Crunch are the two I use the most.

1 Like